Author Topic: Exilian Chain-Writing, Summer 2018  (Read 15431 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Exilian Chain-Writing, Summer 2018
« on: July 01, 2018, 08:02:04 PM »
EXILIAN CHAIN WRITING, SUMMER 2018

OK, we're doing chain writing! Sign up here!

People signed up: 21

What is chain writing? It's where a bunch of people write a collaborative story! Rather than of the bizarre mess of the three word story, this is an actual writing thing, and will be done in 250 word chunks. Once we've written some stories they'll all be released and it'll be great and stuff! Read on for the rules and how to sign up:

THE RULES
  • You will have up to five (5) days to write up to two hundred and fifty (250) words of story - no more (unless you're the last person of the eight on a chain, in which case you'll get up to 350 if and only if you need additional room to tie up loose ends).
  • There will be eight people in a standard chain, for a total of a bit over 2000 words for a tale.
  • When it's your turn, you will be emailed (by megadux@exilian.co.uk), the chain as it currently stands. You won't be told who else is on the chain. Once you're done, you will then email the whole thing, with your additions, back to me.
  • Time limits are strict. If you don't get something back to me within five days, it gets passed on to the next person.
  • There's no lower word limit. If your contribution is fifty words, that's absolutely fine.
  • Editing or changing the previous text in any way is forbidden. If you think two previous parts clash or have a major hole, we can do things about that but ask first rather than doing it unilaterally.

• Sign ups are open until July 14. On July 15 the chain starters will be told who they are and given their tasks.
  • When you sign up, please state the following:.
    • What name/username you want to be credited by when the final stories are released.
    • What sort of chain you want to be on: REALISM, HISTORY, SCI FI AND FANTASY, or MISC/NO PREFERENCE. I won't necessarily be able to run chains of all four types; generally it tends to be the case that things will take SFF twists if they have enough people writing on them, so if a lot of people want to have a realistic chain I'll try and put them all together as priority. If you absolutely don't want to be involved if you can't do a chain in a rough genre area, let me know - of course I won't necessarily be able to accommodate that but it helps me to know in advance.
    • If you have timing requirements (aka you'd rather do it in July, towards the first half of the chain, or in early August towards the end. I can't promise to be able to accommodate requirements of this sort but I'll do my best).

You can use this thread at any point whilst this project is running to discuss what's going on, ask general questions, get advice from other writers, etc, though please refrain from posting actual snippets or discussing direct plot details of ongoing chains.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing many signups and much writing!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:06:17 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Exilian Chain-Writing, Summer 2018
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 11:17:07 PM »
I think this could be fun...

Caradìlis, and I'll write any, all or none of them, you decide, have fun...
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 11:22:30 PM »
Excellent, thankyou :)

(I'm also signing myself up, to clarify - I'll either start a chain myself, or leave myself as an emergency backup writer for when someone inevitably drops out somewhere in a way that I can't fill.)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »
Up to 6 people now, so we should get at least one chain...

comrade_general

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 06:07:58 PM »
I'm a terrible writer so I'm out unless you really need me. :P

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 07:59:58 PM »
You shouldn't feel that counts you out if you'd like to - but I just got our eighth sign-up, so I won't need to arm-twist you into it :P

Caradìlis

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 08:25:11 PM »
I'm a terrible writer so I'm out unless you really need me. :P

Out of the little experience I have with other writers, you should let others be the judge of your abilities... Most people have a tendency to underestimate their writing skills.... :)
"Those who don't beieve in magic will never find it." - Roald Dahl

comrade_general

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:10:26 PM »
Perhaps then, in the fullness of time, when the bards have gone silent and the muses all but spent, when words are forgotten and the arts reduced to normalcy, I shall unsheathe my quill from its ancient corrosion and put forth to the page my damnable eloquence.

Or not. :P

HanSolo

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 12:01:21 AM »
Are you still looking for people to sign up?  :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 12:11:01 AM »
Yes, absolutely, please do! :)

La Ciguapa

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »
This might actually help me get back in the practice of writing. If possible I'd like to be on a Sci-Fi and Fantasy chain. My username is fine to use. :)
I don't need luck. I have ammo -Grunt

Lizard

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 02:14:11 PM »
Yessss I will do this.

I'd prefer not historical, but shove me wherever you need me :P

Credit: Lisbeth Anderson (I'm trying this pen-name thing...)
A coder, a hoodie, a coffee pot, a robot.

"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

comrade_general

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
Ms. Anderson...

rbuxton

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
Count me in, normal username is fine and I have no preference for genre =)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 10:35:30 AM »
And we're off! First writers have been informed, everyone (bar two for specific reasons) should've had the starting email, etc :)