Author Topic: RogueBit: a hacking puzzle game  (Read 5273 times)

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
RogueBit: a hacking puzzle game
« on: September 22, 2018, 08:38:10 AM »
Here's a small project of mine that I have been working on and off for months:

You play as a single bit of computer memory which became sentient and decided to escape from digital into the real world. Explore RAM, modify bytes and hack machine code and CPU registers to set it free.

More details and screenshots on the Steam store page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/949790/Rogue_Bit/

I will soon have a beta build ready for testing. If anyone is interested in trying it out and giving some feedback, e-mail me at bit@bigosaur.com for a free Steam key.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: RogueBit: a hacking puzzle game
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:38:34 AM »
BTW, one of the puzzles in the game will reference this forum URL. Here's the text that appears in the game:

What the hell is HEX?

Since the binary numbers are hard to read and take a lot of screenspace, we use HEXadecimal (base-16) system. It's very convenient, because you can store a single byte in exactly two digits. We only had 10 digits 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and needed 6 more, so we decided to use letters A,B,C,D,E,F.

So, a single byte that stores values from 0-255 is written in hexadecimal range from 00 to FF.

I might post some information about easter eggs players can find in the game in this thread, so those who see the URL and come here might find it.

eCoyote

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 01:31:08 PM »
Thank you for making this game!

I just finished Rogue Bit, grabbing every Steam achievement for it on the way, and it's been a very entertaining little adventure. Just what I needed to stretch my mind for a couple of hours today!

Although I stumbled in a couple of places, I ended up getting through every puzzle without any external help (I did abuse the "b" key, though). You got that balance just right :-)

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 09:16:45 PM »
Although I stumbled in a couple of places, I ended up getting through every puzzle without any external help (I did abuse the "b" key, though). You got that balance just right :-)

I'm amazed that you took time to create an account here just to post this. This kind of feedback is great motivation for me to keep making games.

Thank you!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 04:26:53 PM »
Welcome to Exilian as well, eCoyote :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...