Author Topic: Spears vs Swords  (Read 2794 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Spears vs Swords
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:26:37 AM »

I found this a fairly interesting one - some experiments with shields & spears & swords to work out why people used spears so damn much (answer - sticking a pointy stick in someone's face never goes out of fashion).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Spears vs Swords
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 11:59:37 PM »
Lloyd always has good material.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:17:01 AM »
That is super interesting. I often wondered about that, didn't realise how effective they can be.

I like that they ran group bouts too - because I was about to say that would have been useful against cavalry too. Plus with the extra reach you'd to get up to the mounted person
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 11:24:21 PM »
Yeah it's neat stuff. I seem to remember lb having odd views on other topics outside warfare though I may be misremembering. He's very good indeed on this weapon handling stuff etc though. :)

And yeah, spears are simple and effective enough that even I coukd probably use one!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:18:23 PM »
Matt Easton has another few videos on the demos of sabre vs. spear on foot which he makes his Victorian fencing students do. 

Lindybeige strikes me as one of those eccentric autodidacts who says a lot of things and is happy to drink a pint and argue about which he was wrong about.  He reminds readers and watchers that he is not an expert on anything, just someone with opinions, so I'm not too worried that sometimes he messes up, even though his audience is much bigger than it used to be!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 11:15:31 PM »
Yes, there are tricky lines to grasp I guess as someone's audience gets bigger, regarding how power should scale with responsibility - but yes, I agree that broadly he's a harmlessly eccentric autodidact so far as I can tell.

Ierne

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 12:34:07 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing the video! It really made sense of why spears are so much more common than swords in Saxon and Viking era warrior graves, which is something always pointed out in lectures but never explained. It was also useful from a fantasy warfare perspective. And just very funny XD