Author Topic: UK politics 2019  (Read 17868 times)

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UK politics 2019
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2019, 08:52:50 PM »
Penguin Classics released a Weird Tales of H.P. Lovecraft a few years ago, and the Beeb has been podcasting The Case of Charles Dexter Ward as a radio play, so I guess the Yanks of the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society will be providing  this year's carols (warning: YouTube).

:pangolin:

Edit: Since a lot of criticisms of the Liberal Democrats seem to boil down to "they campaigned on one platform them reversed it in coalition with the Tories" I can also see how the debate about the socially regressive Tories who wanted to cross the aisle was such a big deal.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:44:03 PM by dubsartur »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2019, 11:45:44 PM »
Well, the bad news is that we have a large Conservative majority government who are outright saying they're going to attack some of the foundations of democracy and public discourse.

I think the closest I can come to good news is that the situation is now so bad that it might be less stressful for me as we're going to go out of "high politics crisis" mode and into "right-authoritarian government implements its will unchecked" mode.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2020, 08:09:53 PM »
British expert in pre-Columbian Southeast Asia A.J. West has concluded that under current UK immigration policy he can't live in the UK with his wife without putting GBP 60.000 in an account for six months and paying several thousand pounds for an Indefinite Leave to Remain.  Its not so clear that he could live in the Netherlands after graduating, especially if he wants to keep an academic job.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2020, 08:17:29 PM »
Sorry - previous post was seen, and duly shuffled to the new thread, I just hadn't got round to messaging you to explain yet!

Since I am starting a new UK pol thread, I'll close this one.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...