Author Topic: Tales From Windy Meadow - fantasy pixel art Visual Novel  (Read 65179 times)

BeerDrinkingBurke

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Innkeep
    • Awards
Re: Tales From Windy Meadow - fantasy pixel art Visual Novel
« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2023, 10:32:01 AM »
Haha, yeah that is Doc for you. ;-)
"I'd generally say that more people will connect with an interesting, relatable character in a tired, cliche setting than with a boring trope-heavy character in a unique setting. The setting may be fascinating for a writer, but it can rarely deliver a punch."
That's a really good way of putting it.
Developing a game called Innkeep! Serve Ale. Be jolly. Rob your guests. https://innkeepgame.com/

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2023, 06:09:49 PM »
The setting I guess is more front-loaded: I won't often pick up a game for a character, because that relies on me both knowing the character and knowing the writers well enough to be sure it'll have that kind of quality. So I wonder if the lore is sometimes analogous to the outer parts of a sandwich: it's the bit you start people off with, and it's the depth bit underneath that you can dive into, whereas the character really provides the core narrative enjoyment in the middle?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

BeerDrinkingBurke

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Innkeep
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: June 23, 2023, 11:11:38 AM »
That's a nice metaphor.

I think the setting can be distinguished from the lore in some way. For example, Dark Souls has a very evocative setting, but lore in terms of actually conveyed details about the history of the world is limited to mostly item descriptions and a few choice dialogue lines.
Developing a game called Innkeep! Serve Ale. Be jolly. Rob your guests. https://innkeepgame.com/