Author Topic: Seasons 8  (Read 4229 times)

comrade_general

Seasons 8
« on: May 21, 2019, 01:41:41 AM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Seasons 8
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 02:20:39 PM »
I think they should get GRRM to finish the books, then think about any remakes or further adaptations. To the extent that there were problems, it feels from listening to other people's reactions like they were driven by running out of source material and having to get showrunners who were OK with scripts but not used to GRRM style fantasy writing to fill the plot gaps.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:41:42 PM »
Exactly.

Personally I would have done two more seasons. Season 8 would have been the WW's tearing a swath through Westeros and doing severe damage to the alliance as they went. King's Landing would have fallen to the WW's while Cersei gave birth to her son who would have been turned into a WW while Cersei was ripped apart by the wight citizens of KL. Also her elephants would have crossed the sea and become ele-wights. Lots more main characters would have died along the way, including Dany, who would die in a sacrificial way in order to save the others, and by the end Jon and a few others would flee to Essos. Then season 9 would have taken place some time in the future. Picture like a 40 year old Jon Snow with some gray in his hair. He would have put together another coalition of Essosi and what's left of the Westeros refugees and came up with some plan to retake Westeros and kill the Walkers, which would have taken all season. By the end Jon would reconquer Westeros as a Targ with Tyrion as his hand and Sansa his wife (he has a thing for redheads).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 03:56:05 PM »
I don't mind the current endings of most of the main characters too much (which I've now had spoilered for me elsewhere so I just went to wikipedia and caught up the whole plot), or at least I'd be OK with them if properly grounded in backstory first. The lack of having the winter as a really serious long term threat feels like the flattest thing to me - the whole thing of the Westerosis squabbling among themselves while winter and bigger forces build in the background seems to have just got lost. Also the Lord of Light stuff, and a bunch of stuff about Old Valyria that never really seemed to land or get explained.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
Hodor.

comrade_general

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 11:56:32 AM »

Gmd

• The one and only
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Quack
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 11:58:25 AM »
Accurate. So rushed, at least their ineptitude has made all of D&D's future projects fail aswell. Personally the show took a turn back in season 5. When they cut both the Dorne and Mereen stories down considerably, you knew they were rushing it. Season 5 was my least favourite until season 8, yet it has one of the greatest episodes (hardhome). I was even ok in season 7 when they were cutting stories left and right and characters doing things which made no sense, as i hoped it was all some master plan to get them where they needed to be for season 8. But no instead of using season 7 to build up to anything they rushed it all into S8E4 where we manage to move from the climax of the series onto the next plot point 3000 leagues south in one episode, like it was literally nothing and just adds to the anti-climatic effect. Also major characters die and change all within one episode for no reason, speaking and plotting about things with no real incentive, just to get to where they want them for the ending. I might write a post about how S8 E4 was the worst written pile of trip ever put to television, because it was the episode that broke my heart, watching my favourite tv show which has been speeding downhill since season 5 finally reach its cliff edge and plummet to the depths.
Bunneh and I Rule this land in the name of Supreme Lord Krishna.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 

Give me my green name back!!! I am always Logothetes

Gmd

• The one and only
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Quack
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 01:08:00 PM »
Bunneh and I Rule this land in the name of Supreme Lord Krishna.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") 

Give me my green name back!!! I am always Logothetes