Author Topic: The Pararelational Paradox  (Read 10115 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Pararelational Paradox
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2019, 06:36:24 PM »
they are not going to delete search results containing some key technical term because in another context it is rude
True (though this does remind me of the fact that Exilian has a filter on a few core swear words, not actually because they're banned but because it's now an ancient and time honoured tradition that on Exilian we insult people by telling them that they're portugaling stupid and talking bullarmadillo rather than the originals of those words - there's a large exceptions list, of course, because we had somebody get very confused once when they posted about the Kushitic empire!)

It just seems like face-to-face communities reward "the organizer" and "the person who sends the weekly emails" but right now Internet culture is focused on people each pushing their own individual identity and hoping to make money out of it.
This is one of the bits I'm most interested in, because clearly it hasn't always been the case. When I was first running Exilian, we never had any problems finding enough people to do those organising roles. People were quite competitive about getting the various signifiers of rising in a website's hierarchy, and a fair number of those people would put in some work in order to get that. Now, we have important constitutionally defined positions that we just can't fill. I don't know where that middle cadre has gone or how to persuade them back into existence with new recruits, but I feel it's one of the key nuts to crack regarding getting a more workable internet again.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2019, 08:24:47 PM »
Are you on Mastodon, Othko, speaking of more decentralised and open source platforms?
I am, similarly I try to use matrix (or IRC) for instant messaging, but convincing people to install another messaging service is a challenge.
right now Internet culture is focused on people each pushing their own individual identity and hoping to make money out of it
I think this is the centre of the issue, without the near obsession with making money there would be a lot less incentive to create these relationships.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 12:21:12 PM »
How long has Exilian been around?  From my point of view, many communities moved from decentralized sites to darknets like FB in 2012/2013, Violet Blue thinks it was around 2013 because in that year as many people viewed the web on small Android/iOS devices as on conventional devices with a browser. 

I think it depends on the genre of your website though, and that a lot of the people saying "everyone is on smartphones" or "you need a birdsite account" are speaking magic not description though: they are trying to make something true by saying it, like political commentators.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »
@Othko - I'm at jubalbarca@mastodon.at, and exilian is exilianofficial@mastodon.at, if you want to find me/us there :)

@dubs: We were founded on March 18, 2008 :)

And yeah, agreed with the "everyone is on" silliness - besides/anyway, you absolutely can use Exilian on a smartphone browser, I regularly post from my phone. I've occasionally wondered if a specific app to access us would help, but decided it sounds like far too much work.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 02:03:54 PM »

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 05:47:37 PM »
Followed you all, I am coldtom@mastodon.social.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 09:16:49 AM »
And likewise :)