Author Topic: A new and improved device for opening a bottle of wine  (Read 3572 times)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A new and improved device for opening a bottle of wine
« on: June 29, 2019, 01:56:40 AM »
This is something that I first saw on the 'Net some years ago; I was reminded of it today, and was rewarded handsomely when I sought it out. It's described as "mechanical sculpture": a quarter-ton machine composed of 382 pieces, for opening a bottle of wine and pouring out a glass. Here it is in action:
There's another recording here (same event, different run) and here (different event + different operator = different explanation).

Its inventor is Rob Higgs - his YouTube channel has more videos of this and his other exuberantly engineered creations. I also found a potted biography for those who'd like to know a little more about him.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 06:43:37 PM by Glaurung »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A new and improved device for opening a bottle of wine
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 09:24:46 AM »
Truly, the Georgian verb of bottle-opening - grossly over-engineered for the job but also really quite cool :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Son of the King

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • SotK
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »
This is really cool, I kind of want one. I'd also like to see an industrial scale version for catering or something that is steam powered.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »
Might need modification other than just scale for wider use - e.g. can it do refills?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
Might need modification other than just scale for wider use - e.g. can it do refills?
One of the audience asked about this at the end of one of the videos. Apparently, yes, it can do further glasses / refills - presumably it will run happily with a bottle that's already open. But it still has to go through the full cycle, because much of what it's doing is winding up a weight and a spring to provide the energy to lift the bottle and pour it.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
Mm, makes sense. So fine in one sense, but somewhat inefficient :)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 04:50:25 PM »
Something gives me the impression that pure efficiency might not have been an important design criterion for this...