Author Topic: Experiments with Djinni  (Read 5633 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Experiments with Djinni
« on: February 17, 2020, 11:45:13 PM »
I've been briefly playing around with djinni, the Witcher 1's editor mode, since I'm not feeling up to doing much actually useful today. It's mostly frustrating and badly documented, so I'm not sure why I'm doing this, but I am. So here's a thread for what I'm doing and for making notes.

The Project
The project is entitled  "A Mountain Tale": don't hold your breath for its release, I'm not expecting to finish it. In it, Geralt of Rivia ends up in Pipkieti, a small mountainous kingdom with a great love of wine, and must navigate the strange people and creatures of this land and an ancient blacksmiths' legend that seems to be taking shape in reality.

So far, I still haven't worked out the basics of the editor. I can make creatures spawn, but not in the place or number I want, some of them randomly turn out to lack animations for reasons unknown. I was hoping to have some sort of ongoing fighting between the Pipkietian militia and their enemies up the valley from the start location, but I can't seem to get them to actually fight for love nor money. I'm doing better with other aspects. I've got three areas the player can move between - outdoors, the castle, and the main underground city - and I've made a couple of NPCs with short conversations, and the town's little market has townsfolk who spawn and wander around talking standard inane videogame chat at you, with three salesfolk open so far. Khachapuri has naturally been implemented, but the editor doesn't seem to be able to find it when I want to add it to shops which is very curious.

Useful Notes

FAQ style notes:
My lights in my cave/indoor area keep going off.
It turns out you need to give the area the indoor or underground description flags. Not sure which of these fixes it, but giving it both definitely works.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...