Author Topic: The Game is ON  (Read 16371 times)

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
Re: The Game is ON
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 07:20:21 PM »
Mm, I agree that the new movie does mess the semi-reference up. That said, I think it's maybe sort of good for the game to have a core viewable character as a mascot/puzzle intro, so I'd maybe replace him with something rather than just cut out from having any central puzzle-introducing character at all?

The problem is that I would have to redo the whole animation. We shall see.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 10:08:19 PM »
I re-did the animation with a different character and he's back in the game. I'll probably make a new trailer with him as well, but it's enough to explain the story.

The game is complete now and ready for testing. There are 200 puzzle pieces in total over 61 levels. The level selections are the following areas from South-East Europe:

• The Bosnian Pyramid
  • Dracula's Castle (Bran Castle in Romania)
  • Đavolja Varoš (natural monument in Serbia)
  • Radan Mountain (anti-gravity hill which is a natural optical illusion)

Each area has 4 hidden puzzles.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have update the build on Steam. If there are no bugs or things that need fixing, this will be the final version.

Hopefully I can iron out any bugs in a week or so, and then go back to developing the big Son of a Witch update.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 03:02:21 PM »
OK, I'm now on 199/200.

The last puzzle piece I've not managed is:

Other thoughts:

I enjoyed it all anyway - well done, was very good fun :)

EDIT: OK, got piece 200 :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 04:41:09 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 04:46:10 PM »
The last puzzle piece I've not managed is

It's very simple, you can move one of the
You probably never hovered the mouse over there. I'm amazed how you did all the rest so quickly, as I thought some of the puzzles would be confusing  :)

Could the zoomed in image get a goatee added

I'll try to draw one and see how it turns out. As I've been practicing a lot with this game, my artistic skills are in a flux currently, so I'm not sure what I can do. Some stuff I think "no way" and I just draw them perfectly. Some I think "that's easy" and I cannot produce anything that looks good in multiple tries.

, is more of a hidden object puzzle

I tried various approaches for that one, but couldn't make it work without it being too easy. If you have some ideas... I'm all ears.

Skeleton...the text the guy says

I will change that.

Hm, looks like I forgot about that possibility. I will try to change it so that you can only do one of the solutions. I could even change it to be 2 separate puzzles, but now I'm reluctant to go into that direction as there are exactly 200 puzzle pieces.

Will fix.

I'm not sure what to do with that one. At first I wanted to do the plural variant, but then you need to have at least two bottles and placing one in the spot would still give you a possible solution (the current one). I even tried a singular without 's, but that sounds bad.

I wonder if the secret-generating bit is too obvious to begin with. Perhaps you should click Boris to make that speech bubble show up.[/li][/list]

Not a bad idea.

I think has a real issue in that there are too many possible idioms about days, I was trying "any day of the week" and so on. I think if you change "You =" to "Me = "

I thought it would be too easy if it said "Me"?

I found it a bit odd when revealing the secret was a complete requirement of the puzzle, like in

I wanted to use those to misguide the players, have them thinking "oh, this one is just for the secret puzzle piece".

I wanted it as well, but on the other hand, I wanted to allow the players to solve the puzzles in any order they want. Hm, maybe I could split that one puzzle I mentioned above into two puzzles, and move this one to the end of the game, so it unlocks when you have all 200 puzzle pieces?!

I enjoyed it all anyway - well done, was very good fun :)

Thanks!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2020, 07:42:14 PM »
For low hanging fruit:

I like the idea about splitting the over her head and behind her back into two puzzles and triggering the game is on when you reach 200 pieces. That would make a nicer finale I think.

I think drinks on the house works fine if you just change the idiom text and leave the puzzle as is - a wine bottle can contain multiple drinks worth of wine after all unless you're really going at it hard :)

I think with the text-scrambling ones you need a fairly big clue, or the range of options is just way too high. To complete that one I ended up looking in an idioms dictionary and I'd tried like 2/3 of the things in there for "idioms about days". I mean you can leave it as is, but I think it's especially difficult at the moment so I'd lean towards making it "Me".

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 08:06:05 PM »
For low hanging fruit

That could work. I can leave the hidden object in the game - to be used to get the secret puzzle piece.

I think drinks on the house works fine if you just change the idiom text and leave the puzzle as is - a wine bottle can contain multiple drinks worth of wine after all unless you're really going at it hard :)

Oh, ok. That's easy to fix then ;)

I think with the text-scrambling ones you need a fairly big clue, or the range of options is just way too high.

Alright. I have no idea how difficult it is, because I already know all the answers. I have fixed that now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2020, 02:43:41 PM »
Do you need any more playtesting?
<< Signature redacted >>

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2020, 09:29:25 PM »
Do you need any more playtesting?

I might need more soon. Not sure when, maybe tomorrow, maybe next week. I'm doing some changes for the Nintendo Switch port, so I want to make sure I don't break anything in the Steam version. So it all depends when I finish porting.

If you are interested, I can send you a Steam key once I have a new build ready. Just send me your e-mail at dev@bigosaur.com and I'll e-mail you the key once the build is up.

bigosaur

• View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 07:27:19 PM »
Finally I went back, re-recorded the material and re-edited the video. Here's a version with the new Boris:

This one should be final.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 01:53:06 PM »
Great :) Let me know when you know what the official release date is and I can get Exilian to tweet about it and suchlike.