Author Topic: Legacy Of Dorn: Herald Of Oblivion  (Read 1900 times)

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
Legacy Of Dorn: Herald Of Oblivion
« on: September 11, 2020, 12:40:33 PM »
Hello citizens! I've recently found a game in my steam collection is no longer available to purchase, but is still playable; It's a W40k digital novel by Tinman Games, Legacy Of Dorn: Herald Of Oblivion - It's a spacehulk game that mixes retro style arcade combat, albeit in turnbased form, with a choose-your-own adventure reading style

You play as the Amperial Fist Brother Nabor, accompanying the Terminator Squad Scipio as their newest member on a mission into the spacehulk Herald Of Oblivion!

If you have any Qs & As you are interested in fielding please ask away below; let me know if you're interested in me transcribing the story experience
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Legacy Of Dorn: Herald Of Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »
That sounds quite fun... I'm guessing it's just totally unavailable if it's not purchasable?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »
I think you can get the game by redeeming keys still, so various third parties would probably still work fine (although as I already owned the game for a bit I can't say for sure)

but it has been removed from the steam store as a purchase-able item since Tinman Games no longer has the license from GW

If you already own the game you can still play it though

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 05:56:49 PM »
That is too bad!

I'm not familiar with the term "digital novel" could you explain?  It sounds like its not a text-based game, or that the text is interspersed with turn-based arcade combat.  I don't know a lot about indy games, a friend's family developed them in the 1990s and 2000s.

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 12:28:27 AM »
Yeah it's how the developers described the experience, I've never seen the term used anywhere else really!

I mislabelled it as a digital novel but they on the steam page call it a gamebook... huh. I guess I was thinking in terms of comparing it to a visual novel but with less priority on the visuals.

dubsartur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 11:27:59 AM »
Humh, those labels make me think of something more like "King of Dragon Pass" which is centred around reading text and looking at image and making choices from a list of options.   Or a digital version of the old Fighting Fantasy / Lone Wolf books.

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
I actually managed to complete the game today, after I learned about the "free choice" option and unstuck myself from a few chronic snags

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 12:36:10 PM »
I keep meaning to get and play King of Dragon Pas sometime, it sounds fun.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...