Author Topic: Simple Canapes  (Read 3873 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Simple Canapes
« on: March 06, 2023, 03:22:19 PM »
Putting these separately to remind myself this is a thing I can do in future - I made canapes (kind of) for my birthday and they worked pretty well!

Basically each of these is just a square of premade pastry, cooked, then with different things dolloped on top:
- Cottage cheese mixed with mint, plus mint leaf for garnish
- Sour cream with salmon on top and chives
- Cottage cheese under a half-slice of salami, topped with a bit of dried tomato

I think they need some sort of cheese or cream layer to help secure the stuff to the pastry: by and large one probably needs slightly larger bits of pastry than one expects as these were pretty top-heavy and had a tendency to fall over.

Anyone else tried this sort of thing? I always think of this sort of thing as at the a-bit-fancy end so was quite pleasantly surprised how easy these were to make on the fly.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Simple Canapes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2023, 01:04:40 PM »
I have occasionally dabbled in the canape arena. My mum was the sort of person who'd put things like that together occasionally when she had dinner parties. The kind she tended to have were the sort of easy thing one could give to a keen 10-year-old Sprite-ling who possibly lacked the coordination and know-how to be trusted with the more intricate elements of a dinner party (I still remember the first time I was given the honour of making dessert for such an occasion!).

For my birthday last year I also decided to up the usual game a bit and, in addition to ordering takeaway with everyone who came round, I provided a bunch of homemade snacks that included cheese straws, brie and cranberry filo parcels and spring rolls (very easy to make once you get the hang of it and very well suited to batch cooking in the air fryer!). Twas good fun but did involve spending about a day cooking beforehand so this year perhaps I'll take a leaf out of your book and try the ones you posted out!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 04:38:50 PM »
Yeah, these took really a few minutes to make - I'd conversely like to try fancier snacks but there's a lot to be said for quick, nice tasting, and colourful when it comes to food :)

You should post some of your recipes sometime!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Spritelady

• Tribounos
    Site Magistrate
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 06:23:23 PM »
I may do so! Although admittedly mostly I tend to use BBC Good Food recipes and tweak them somewhat according to taste/experience (nothing reduces as quickly as recipes seem to think...)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 12:11:22 PM »
That's fair. It can be useful to share stuff even if it's links sometimes though - just other people have thought of a thing to google that you haven't, sometimes.