Author Topic: Skyrim modding: The Lost Songs  (Read 4631 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Skyrim modding: The Lost Songs
« on: January 29, 2021, 05:20:20 PM »
So I don't think I'll get this finished, but I started poking around with making a tiny module for Skyrim. My idea was to make an extra bard follower who could stand around and play you some extra songs for the sake of musical diversity.

I had the fun idea to try recording the songs that were in Skyrim books and didn't have tunes - unfortunately, and I think this is one of the largest reasons I won't finish this, there's a good reason those songs don't have tunes and it's that apparently scansion is not a term you need to know to work at Bethesda. Even ones that are explicitly labelled as odes or songs are horrible to try and fit any kind of tune to. I do now have a recording of Song of the Alchemists but it's not great and was like pulling blood from a stone honestly.

My other problem is that the creation kit is really clunky. It's a powerful toolset but it crashes very easily, takes ages to load, and has bugs (one of which means you can't add new dialogue lines properly, which if I want to do a new character may actually be rather necessary). There's apparently a workaround for that but I've not sorted it out yet.

But yeah... not sure whether to carry on with this or not really. I don't know if I can make music that's good enough for people to want it in their games, especially if I'm working with the stuff from the Skyrim books (and if I'm going to go back to writing new bard songs I have about five to write for The Exile Princes still).
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...