Author Topic: The Many Projects Of Irongutz(A.K.A NanoTeq_RPG)  (Read 8395 times)

DeepCandle Games

• RPG author and big nerd
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
The Many Projects Of Irongutz(A.K.A NanoTeq_RPG)
« on: June 12, 2021, 12:36:32 AM »
Today marks my revisiting of a favourite place I have been neglecting far too often. In the dusty halls of Exilians' once lively Senet House much has fallen out of use, but I hope to keep some activity coursing through the place again.

I present in this post a master-list of sorts of my many many ambitions in homebrewing and authoring RPGs of my own making and writing, and supplements to those classics we all know and love.

Due to the extensive nature of this listing, please ask below if you have any questions about a specific title - remember! interest draws emphasis! I'll bump stuff up the priority list if you have a gap in your RPG roster that you seek to fill with just that thing!

Without further ado:
Title || Brief Description ||Status

<1> Flatline 2030//A rules-lite tactical shooter cyberpunk RPG set in its' own timeline - inspired by Deus Ex and NeoTokyo and featuring a 2d4 rules system!// In Current Production!

<2> Might Of Mourn//An Ogre Kingdoms expansion to the WFRP 1e core rules! - features rules and careers for Ogres and Gnoblars as PCs for the very first time, and some artwork and campaign ideas by yours truly! // Completed! Listed on my Ko-Fi shop as a free gift to my OG supporter!

<3> Heirs Of Ulthuan//A WFRP 1st Edition Elven Compendium featuring the three kinds of elfs found in the Old World, featuring unique careers, rules, equipment and campaigns - a tome of three volumes, each featuring content centred around High Elves, Wood Elves and Dark Elves respectively// In Concept Stages

<4> BloodBath: A Prophecy Of Woe// A dark and heroic sword and sandals rip-and-tear RPG where you wake up in an alien land filled with monsters of myth and lore; all you know is the strength of your arm and the bite of your axe - and you seek to kill everything in your path// In Concept Stages

<5> Gunwales: A Skyward Skirmish// A Skirmish Battle Game/RPG hybrid where you battle for supremacy over the endless sky and the floating islands that dwell within// In Concept Stages

<6> Tides Of The Old World; Perilous Adventures At Sea// As seen in my other reference post, a developing project to add ships, fleets, pirates, admirals and ways for you to play with and as most of those things in the Old World! // In Production, suffering delays

<7> Ogres Of The Old World// A careers expansion for Ogres in 2nd edition WFRP, featuring new career options for less 'imperial' ogres and a new arsenal they can use!//Completed, listed on Ko-Fi

<8> Krag: Dig Deep// A subterranean low fantasy survival game taking place in the collapsed ruins of a once great empire//In the concept stages

<9> Underway: Road In The Darkness// A WFRP 1e expansion featuring the creatures fair and foul of the Underway - the great dwarf roads that span the known world// In concept stages

<10> Lost Cities Of Lustria// A WFRP 1e expansion featuring an exploration of lizardmen and campaigns set in the lustrian environment - inspired by a very poorly balanced lustrian expansion i had to suffer through as a GM when adapting a kroxigor into my campaign// In concept stages
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 02:08:48 PM by NanoTeq_RPG »
I write many projects focused around RPGs and rules expansions!

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Many Projects Of Irongutz(A.K.A NanoTeq_RPG)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 12:56:42 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing Flatline: doing cyberpunk well is tricky but it can be fantastic. Gunwales also sounds really interesting - actually possibly that's the thing that most caught my eye out of the lot. Will that be a sort of Edge chronicles style sky-ships setup or more planes and zeppelins?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 03:51:54 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing Flatline: doing cyberpunk well is tricky but it can be fantastic. Gunwales also sounds really interesting - actually possibly that's the thing that most caught my eye out of the lot. Will that be a sort of Edge chronicles style sky-ships setup or more planes and zeppelins?

I'm not entirely sure regarding the Gunwales question as i'm not familiar with the source material you reference - but think of it as you build your own army based on your faction; Engineering, Occultism, Theos and Magos are basically your four 'disciplines' which determine the make up of your race - you could have a flight wing of gargoyles shooting lightning bolts at the enemy or a zeppelin fleet of dwarf airships powered by eldritch gods ripping holes in the fabric of reality.

The basic principle is that you roleplay on land and battle in the sky - the islands (called spires) are held up by primordial stones and can range from small outposts to entire continents with several factions - the endless sky is known as Aerie and you are basically having a war between low magic and high magic fantasy races that you can design yourself

iirc i was going to implement it so you had 8 or 12 points to spend on different disciplines in any order - and an index of units and bonus mcguffins that each have a requirement cost on there regarding how much you need to have allocated to each discpline - each one maxing at 4

so you can build your army and the "civilisation tree" or what have you determines what your options are for the roster, like a dynamic selection

If you'd like to support me you can buy (or download for free) my finished work from https://ko-fi.com/nanoteq_rpg or play-test them with me on my discord!

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 03:59:53 AM »
Flatline is being playtested in its' 5th edition pre-release rules at the moment, and narratively the 'vanilla' campaign Phoenix Rising takes place in the turn of the decade of 2030.

The game is fundamentally about risking it all, being a few lucky or unlucky dice results away from doom. It's played on a razors edge and every decision walks the tight rope between outcomes. It's very deep in its' choices but as stripped back as it can be in the mechanics so people spend more time making meaningful decisions than they do adding up dice and doing maths.

There are thus far 11 factions each with their own unique special rules, 24 weapons ranging from the AutoGun to things like the Payload Accelerator and the Manhattan Laser, 24 tactical equipment items that run between radar jammers to armoured mecha exosuits, 24 Bionics implants which range from Coagulant Sacs (clotting agents surgically grafted near arteries so when you take critical damage you revive with a bit of health by stopping the bleeding) to a NanoFibre BodySuit of synthetic muscles

It's been a hell of a time to make and for a summary in the last play test my two players who were under-geared for the mission (because they forgot to check their options haha) fought their way through a basement level and back up to the surface, manually over-riding some micronuclear generators and blowing away half of the mountain in the resulting nuclear blast.

It's a great time, and I'm play testing a stealth mission pretty soon so that'll be wicked fun

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 11:01:43 AM »
Aw, the Edge Chronicles was a big part of my childhood :) It's actually quite an interesting setting, like it's sort of aesthetically like C17th/18th and has quite a simplified world with a big 'ol peninsula justting out into open sky, with the vast "Deepwoods" at the base end, a river running down the middle, then a swamp, then there's a city built at the tip. (In fact two cities - one at ground level, one on a giant flying rock chained above it.)

Anyway the relevant bit here is that a core part of the early (chronologically) bits of the setting is the presence of flight-rocks, which are basically, uh, buoyant rock, and you can then put them in a cage sphere and build a ship around them, carefully adjusting temperature and systems of weights to keep the thing balanced (the job of the ship's Stone Pilot).

But yeah, if you can get your hands on a copy of the original trilogy (Twig Trilogy) or the prequel trilogy (Quint Trilogy), I think it could be quite interesting for your bits of setting design: it's children's fantasy by and large, but it's well written and good fun, and if I picked up a game with the pitch you've given to Gunwales it's very much the inspiration/source material I'd first think of.

I'll let you know some thoughts on Flatline when I've had a chance for more of a look :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 11:07:34 AM »
I look forwards to hearing back about it!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 12:07:53 PM »
Sure :) Also should we give you a subforum here to chuck all your projects into? That might make sense, it's up to you.

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 12:19:46 PM »
couldn't hurt

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 09:03:34 AM »
Weekly Update:

This week I've returned to Might Of Mourn! to update the expansion with two brief campaigns! Without giving out any big spoilers this update will be nominated Man-Eater Edition! I'll post here again when it's been reviewed the final product.

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
Production Update and public address
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 02:09:11 AM »
Been a while since I've written a Production Update directly on here!

I've usually been posting them regularly to my Ko-Fi, or discussing them live on Discord

Flatline 2030 is now in 7th edition, and I've stopped writing more until more of the game has been play-tested - two friends from Europe have also decided to work on developing a computer adaptation for the game - Artomia and Vpan!

IMPORTANT: Currently Something Stirs In Stirland and all other Warhammer Fantasy works are put on an indefinite hiatus - partly because I don't want to support Games Workshop any more, as much as I love the setting that they made, their corporate shenanigans is no longer a victimless crime.

I also feel like generally people are rapidly moving away from playing those games, and the ones that do thus far have expressed very little interest in the content I had planned, so I feel like I have a responsibility to my supporters and play-testers to work on delivering products that they feel passionately about

The OTHER good News: NEW PRODUCTS as a quid pro quo I've started preparing a game system to write for a new project PHANTASM, which is a singleplayer cyberpunk stealth infiltration game - creative direction by Artomia!

Additionally, I've been working on Dark Renaissance a dark psychological thriller where death comes easy and the heroes have to survive in the dark age ruins of a fallen empire. Feel free to ask more questions here if you have them!

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
GunWales: The Skyward Skirmish
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 01:14:14 PM »
While Flatline2030 is currently being playtested in it's seventh edition of pre-release rules, I've begun laying down my first rulings for GunWales; A Skyward Skirmish!

So far I can answer five questions about the premise;

What's the name of the setting?
The Grand Aerie

What about the setting theme?
A:
An endless sky populated by floating islands, ranging in size from big enough to only support a house to being a continental hulk of land, supporting several empires

What's the genre, in simple terms?
A:
Cloudpunk, High Fantasy, Model Agnostic

How does magic work?
A:
In GunWales, primordial energy pools in the Titan Crystals that support the Spires (the floating islands), supplying a seemingly endless reserve - these crystals regularly manifest the beliefs of sentient creatures that exist around them into existence; ranging in power and ability

So, does that mean there isn't any magic?
A:
In GunWales, the more strongly and more commonly people believe in different forms of power, the more realized those beliefs become - science, mythology and divinity, lovecraftian occultism, and magic and wizardry being the four main pillars of belief that manifest in The Grand Aerie!

A - 2:
These can manifest in many ways, and realistically it can be argued that there is no wrong way to interpret these things - being able to write up your fleet as imagining deities, pantheons, mythological creatures, eldritch horrors, daemons, and magic in any way that they (and by extension, you) might choose to illustrate them!

In conclusion:
GunWales will be a very flexible battle game, able to be played using any models you can find that represent the appropriate unit, and fit onto the appropriate bases! It's intended to allow players to be able to build their own fleets, races and factions, and bring anything they can conceivably imagine onto the table short of scifi and diesel-punk!

PS:
I DO plan to write in rules for roleplaying once I develop the world a lot more and will talk more about those when they're implemented

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 03:08:45 PM »
Any news on this? :)

DeepCandle Games

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Aspiring TTRPG Writer
    • View Profile
    • My Ko-Fi Shop-front!
    • Awards
More on GunWales
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 10:51:33 PM »
Yes, it's been a while since I updated this - I keep forgetting to do it;

REGARDING GUNWALES;

I've gotten the core rules and worldbuilding concepts down - I've actually made a separate system that was focused on roleplaying individual characters from the setting as an exercise to build up the lore but I'm halfway on that and am really struggling to execute the ideas in a way that feels satisfying

Cairn - A World Of Myth And Lore is the RPG system that's being developed and is in some sort of limbo

What I've got for GunWales so far has been an interesting development - I've used Gaslands for inspiration and drafted some prototype movement templates which i've attached a few of below. The setting seemingly required having a big axe taken to the build your own customization aspect of the game.

About The Setting:
The setting features five key races, each with their own unique adaptation of magic.

There's the Orgramar, who are an orc equivalent which are themed after a magitek powered renaissance that're doing their first experimentation with alchemistry. They're the source of the Grand Aerie's navigational maps and most ports and trade centres; They live mostly in city-states and are distinguished between their Ol'Drens (The junkers, a common term for those who work on building and maintaining airships) and Ol'Gris (The )

The Tuskogen is a family of trolls and ogres that live in a shamanic tribe system on a super continent known on the Orgramar's charts as Praetoria, a primordial and savage wilderness that treats outsiders harshly. The Tuskogen are comparable to 12ft tall bronze age tribesmen and much of their culture is focused around singing the construction and management of menhirs and other megalithic constructs.

There's also the Mundus (Neanderthals and Zammarthals), Dammafel (Craglyn and Moltarch), and Bestimyr (various animal humanoids in the style of minotaurs) formed by forest sprites possessing an animal they deem worthy and becoming its soul, shapeshifting between the standard form and the humanoid form

GunWales has yet to have the depth of core mechanics around its unit profiles written up, but the concept is slowly becoming more and more tangible

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 02:05:19 PM »
Sounds interesting - definitely looking forward to hearing more sometime!