Author Topic: Kickstarter for A Bestiary of Enchanted England ends Nov. 24, 2022  (Read 5103 times)

Shewstone Publishing

• View Profile
    • Shewstone Publishing
    • Awards
We were invited on Mastodon (dice.camp) to promote our Kickstarter here: A Bestiary of Enchanted England.

This is not your typical RPG bestiary. Folklore experts Timothy Ferguson, Christian Jensen Romer, and Mark Lawford have gone off the beaten path to discover lesser-known creatures of legend (alongside some favorites such as elves and trolls).

Each creature is accompanied by authentic lore and plot hooks to make it the centerpiece of a wondrous story. Designed for Magonomia the RPG of Renaissance wizardry, compatible with Fate, and the lore and plot hooks can be borrowed for any fantasy RPG.

Only $10 for the digital edition. 225% funded! Campaign ends Nov. 24

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shewstonepublishing/a-bestiary-of-enchanted-england
The Platinum Rule of RPGs: Everyone at the table is responsible for helping to create a good gaming experience for everyone, including themself.

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
Re: Kickstarter for A Bestiary of Enchanted England ends Nov. 24, 2022
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 06:34:13 AM »
This looks really interesting! I like the plot hooks idea for the monsters.

Congrats on getting funded :)
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 11:29:12 AM »
Neat, I have dropped in a pledge :) I don't play Magonomia (I pretty exclusively run Savage Worlds when GMing), but I also don't generally buy RPG books for specific crunch rules, I buy them for interesting narrative content and ideas. There are a few things in here I'm not familiar with - Waelcrygre, Sctialis, Milcha - and a few where I'm really keen to see your take (it looks like you're making Cornwall's Knockers more threatening than in most versions I've seen, from the tagline?)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Shewstone Publishing

• View Profile
    • Shewstone Publishing
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 11:53:53 AM »
Thanks @Tusky and @Jubal! If it's lore you're looking for, author Timothy Ferguson runs a podcast and blog where he's been posting about his research for this book. He's really gone above and beyond!

Quite late in the project I had the idea to frame each creature with a sensationalized headline like you might find in a sixteenth-century chapbook or pamphlet. So the tagline for the Knocker comes from a narrator who is ... less than perfectly reliable.  :) Don't worry, the text of each creature is presented in a sincere and straightfoward manner. It's true that knockers can play pranks on miners who fail to give offerings, so that's "wrath" the tagline is referring to.
The Platinum Rule of RPGs: Everyone at the table is responsible for helping to create a good gaming experience for everyone, including themself.

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 07:32:37 PM »
Remind to pledge a pledge when I'm more awake

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 08:29:27 PM »
Oh, nice :) The only podcast I manage to follow regularly is friend-of-this-parish James Holloway's excellent Monster Man, but I barely keep up with that, I suppose I have few listening slots per day compared to people who drive to work etc. Will definitely have a read of the blog though!

I like the idea of the unreliable pamphleteer voice - looking forward to reading it.

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...