Author Topic: What to play next?  (Read 3927 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
What to play next?
« on: August 13, 2021, 05:21:57 PM »
Did one of these a bit over a year ago, guess we're back here again.

• Continue/complete the Witcher games. I keep being told I should play these, but also I hate strike-and-dodge-and-roll combat systems and I gave up on W2 once on that basis.
  • Another Elder Scrolls game, probably Oblivion. Might be fun, I don't know how well going backward through the series would work for me and like the Witcher games they're quite time consumptive.
  • Some older RPG that isn't so hack and slash - probably Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights or Planescape Torment, but I'm not sure which. Psyanotek's James I know really likes Planescape: Torment, and IIRC Spritelady is a Neverwinter Nights fan.
  • Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. I liked PoE, apparently PoEII is quite different and I'm a bit worried from what I've heard that it'll have another round of "everyone is evil lol" moral bad choices which I never like much.
  • Play a more modern Total War or Civilisation game. I've barely played Total Wars more modern than Rome, and Civs more modern than, uh, Civ II. So I feel it might be interesting to mechanically see where those franchises are nowadays. I'm not actually a very good strategy gamer which gives me pause - I can't play those games for the challenge, and I don't know if I have the time to do the sort of mental narrative stuff that I enjoy with them.
  • Stellaris. I do own the base game and it's meant to be pretty good.
  • Something else? I'm sure there's many options I've not considered.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...