Author Topic: RPG in a Box  (Read 5283 times)

ol_smaug

• View Profile
    • RPG in a Box
    • Awards
RPG in a Box
« on: May 16, 2022, 11:32:41 PM »
Hi everyone! My name is Justin Arnold, and I'm a solo developer working on a game creation tool called RPG in a Box. RPG in a Box lets you easily turn your stories and ideas into games and other interactive experiences! As its name suggests, it contains everything necessary for doing so, all packaged together "in a box". The software is designed with a fun, beginner-friendly approach in mind as to not require any programming or modelling knowledge, while still providing a wide range of customization and openness. The games you create are your own and can be exported to Windows, Linux, and MacOS as standalone executables, so they can be easily shared with others to play!

RPG in a Box recently reached v1.0 and has left Early Access. This is just the beginning, though, as I have so many more fun things still in store for it! I also have a press kit here for anyone interested in checking out some screenshots and learning a bit more about it: https://www.rpginabox.com/press

For anyone who’d like to try it out and get a feel for what’s currently possible, a free demo version is available on both Steam and itch.io. It includes all features found in the full version, but with a limitation of two 10x10 maps per project and a splash screen on exported games.

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/498310
itch.io: https://zeromatrix.itch.io/rpginabox

You can check out the 1.0 launch trailer below, as well as the community showcase video (which is also included at the end of the launch trailer).

Let me know if you have any questions about RPG in a Box and I'll do my best to answer! Thanks so much!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: RPG in a Box
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 01:46:23 PM »
Welcome to Exilian! :) Hope you'll stick around, do make yourself at home!

This looks really cool, a couple of questions:

If you start something in the demo version then get the full version, can you carry on the same project but sans the limitations?

Secondly, how much in terms of assets does the system come with - can you edit from pre-sets when it comes to e.g. making people with a basic animation set etc, or are you expected to mostly scratch-build in the system's editor?

I'll hopefully find some time to give it a go in the coming weeks - juggling doctoral thesis editing and my own projects, but this seems a cool system and I'm keen to have a try.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

ol_smaug

• View Profile
    • RPG in a Box
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 10:29:48 PM »
Thanks so much, I appreciate the interest!  :)

Yes, projects created in the demo version can be opened in the full version as is, so it's easy to continue working on them if you move to the full version!

In regards to assets, the built-in Asset Library includes a decent amount of tiles, objects, and characters to choose from. There are even a few base characters that are meant as starter models to paint and customize! The simpler one based on my default Justin character comes with quite a few different animations as shown below, and the larger base one shown below it (which has two versions) come with a few animations as well. In addition to that, there are a couple of starter projects to begin with and learn from - one built from my default example assets and the other using the assets based on Kenney's 1-Bit Pack. Let me know if there's anything else you're interested to know about!

Default Example Game:
Kenney 1-Bit Example Game:

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 10:44:51 AM »
Great! I'm going to try and carve out some time to have a look at it next weekend if I can get enough work cleared out the way :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 12:38:20 AM »
Right, duly given this a go!

Lots of thoughts:
  • Four or five errorless CTDs over the course of the day. That's more than I'd like: I've been saving regularly so no huge deal, but it's a bit of a pain. Usually happened when trying to load things in the voxel editor.
  • Voxel editing is slow work. Don't get me wrong, I think the system's very good, but it certainly takes a while. It'd be useful to have a few more sample assets for different clothing styles - robes, armour, etc - to make the frame by frame editing more cosmetic for NPC humanoids at least.
  • The lack of a conditional statement for an item not being in an inventory can be worked around but it'd simplify life to have it.
  • I implemented real-time combat: it feels odd that you can't seem to adjust enemy attacks and HP, unless I'm missing something wildly - I get the impression this is quite an in-development part of the kit?
  • It took me a while to work out how to make an equippable weapon: I'm still not clear what the tags menu does and why it's that rather than setting it as a weapon in the item editor that seems to work.
  • Still not worked out how going into houses and disappearing the roof/upper floors while inside works, that bit is still alchemy as far as I'm concerned.

I'll get round to actually posting a bit about my testing project at some point, too - too tired to do that tonight!

bigosaur

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Bigosaur
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 10:19:09 AM »
This looks really cool. I'm thinking to give this to my kids. They love D&D and Minecraft type of graphics and this could be an awesome mix of those two :)

I have a few questions:

1. What is the engine used? Can we expect to be able to run games made with it on consoles like Nintendo Switch for example?

2. What is the licensing for created games? I see that you can export the project into a standalone game. I understand you can share with your friends, but can you also sell such games commercially?

ol_smaug

• View Profile
    • RPG in a Box
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 04:17:44 AM »
This looks really cool. I'm thinking to give this to my kids. They love D&D and Minecraft type of graphics and this could be an awesome mix of those two :)

I have a few questions:

1. What is the engine used? Can we expect to be able to run games made with it on consoles like Nintendo Switch for example?

2. What is the licensing for created games? I see that you can export the project into a standalone game. I understand you can share with your friends, but can you also sell such games commercially?

Thanks so much! Apologies for the delay in responding. RPG in a Box is made with Godot. I believe Godot games can technically be ran on some consoles, like Switch, but I'm not sure exactly what it would involve to get an RPG in a Box game running on one or how well they'd run. Console exporting isn't something that's currently built into Godot and I think it has to be handled by a third-party service. Regarding licensing: yes, you are free to distribute and sell your games, with no strings attached (i.e. no royalties, licensing, or fees). Although it isn't required, crediting the use of RPG in a Box is always very much appreciated! Let me know if I can help with anything else! :)

ol_smaug

• View Profile
    • RPG in a Box
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 04:21:44 AM »
If anyone is interested in helping support the continued development of RPG in a Box, I'm currently running a campaign on Indiegogo called "Beyond 1.0". You can read more about it on the project page linked below. Let me know if you have any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer them! :)

"RPG in a Box: Beyond 1.0" on Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rpg-in-a-box-beyond-1-0