Kavis: Development Log

Started by Jubal, October 07, 2023, 03:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jubal

I appear to not have a dev log here, so here is a dev log to record where I'm at with Kavis and what I might release for it and suchlike.




The current plan is that eventually there will be at least a couple of short books or supplements of Kavis material. I'm currently collecting things in pseudo-book chunks, as follows:

  • The Heart of the World, covering the Heirophancy, Starshore, Palictara, Tullactara, Dulshan, Camahay, and the Dragonfly Sea
  • Starlit Realms, covering the more pseudo-European continent Chardil and the lands around the Starlit Sea.
  • Land Under Sky, covering the Wendings, Mav, Corravan, the Burninghome, the Shaigel
  • The Mists of Serraty, a much more in-depth campaign supplement just for the mist-wreathed fenlands of northwestern Chardil.
  • Tavern Tales from Kavis, a short fiction book.

Of these, Starlit Realms and Heart of the World probably both have half or so of their text done. Mists of Serraty has a lot of its core foundations done and the advantage that I've actually played through it. Land Under Sky is mostly just loose ideas, and I don't want to focus on it until I've got How and Starlit Realms done. Tavern Tales is kind of a separate project which I'm a few stories into but far from done with.




Today's work has been focused upon the Heart of the World bestiary, which I've started filling out with actual rules not just notes, and also on the HoW character creation section which I'm starting to flesh out with some setting-specific edges and a more crystallised picture of the magic system.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

Embarrassingly, it's about three years since the last post in this thread, and today I've been...

*checks notes*

...focusing on the Heart of the World bestiary and filling it out with actual rules not just notes, and also putting in some more bits for the magic system. Plus ça change!

More specifically, I've cut down the number of entries by a couple, there was one creature that I thought was too much of an obvious bad pun joke even for me which has been removed for a future bad pun monster special booklet, and one small shapeshifting creature has been moved into the general Small Creatures category. For several of the entries I'm rolling a bunch of entries together and having variant rules: Wizards, Warriors, Goblins, Trolls, and Gryphons for example all cover several things each by having a base statline with variations. The bestiary now has over 8000 words, which is quite a lot given that the general setting notes are only at about 5000 (but these do need some adjustment and lengthening).

I feel like I'd be doing better with this if I had a better publication route, but that still seems to be the elusive problem for me with many of my projects, as becoming a publisher in Austria has some complexity to it and in any case tracking sales internationally is basically a non-starter for me with regulations now being what they are.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...