Olives and Salt: Test Game 1

Started by Jubal, November 25, 2023, 11:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jubal

Five new players, five hours of TTRPG play, and I ran a new one-shot, entitled Olives and Salt. This is one of three stories/scenarios that will ultimately, I hope, be in the Heart of the World Kavis book, set in the southeastern Heirophancy.

The characters included a gem merchant, a former Heirophant fleeing from her old life, an assassin on the run, a wizard with a deeply personal interest in the fey, and a dung-flinging goblin (literally had Trademark Weapon: Bag of Manure).

Path taken:

• Manor (Heirophant)
  • Manor (Prison) - sensibly talked to the kids
  • Mill - the gem merchant was in the table society of the miller, he gave them other NPCs to go for (shrine keeper, priests, nursemaid)
  • Village - Quizzed shrine keeper, got general info about people interacting with fey
  • Temple - Found secret door, boot prints of bandits, made a poor impression
  • Night - Goblin got fatigued but saw bandits visiting the temple
  • River docks - mention of danger in water, got a boat via persuasion
  • Gharial - no way for them to easily injure it, escaped via Entangle
  • Nurse - discussion of fey and songs
  • Olive groves - talked to the Tessacare, talked to Rostom the boy, got the Nurse to take his place
  • Final fight - with the priest and bandits

Notes:

• Forgot some key NPCs. Having a guard available and named in advance was sensible and I might characterise two senior guards. Also needed to introduce a second character who might have been an obvious "swap" at the end (the party found one but I didn't have a great backup).
  • I made the Gharial far too powerful for a newbie party: I should either have made it a young one and weakened it, or given the players (none of whom had boating) a boating NPC to make skill challenges etc and fend off the Gharial's attacks.
  • I don't know how best to add interest to low level fights without adding tons more rules weight: I'd like to make the surroundings more interactable maybe? A lot of my combats feel like they're happening in a void and I'm not sure how to avoid that.
  • The players approached things more or less as I'd expected. I wonder if for more advanced parties or people playing with more time, some additional complexity or complication needs adding.
  • Working out how to condense things for a one-shot is really tricky! I think six hours wasn't bad given that probably 90 mins was spent. I could have sped things up a bit with better setup and a shorter starting fight, but probably that's not more than 40 mins of cuts.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...