Author Topic: Germania AAR  (Read 17964 times)

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:43:16 AM »
Ok well, i was a bit bored so i decided to make an AAR on Germany. This is my first and im not very good with RTW so i've set difficulty to Medium/Medium, Unit size is normal. My goal is to conquer as much territory as possible in 2 weeks, I start today, June 4th, so June 28 i'll be done.

Also (i found this idea at RTWHG and liked it) you guys will act as my war council, advising me on which action should be taken next.

These are the current settings. So without further ado let's get this started.

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:11:29 AM »
JUNE 04 2008

For the sake of starting this off, i will begin the AAR without your council.

This is where Germania stands at the opening of the game, we have a prime position to reap glory and riches while the world is in chaos!

My first course of action is to build watchtowers through out the realm, being aware of my enemies doings is useful, no? I now have an eye on most of the country.

The first half year is rough however, i'm loosing money.

I am contacted by an English diplomat, he offers trade rights and his map, which i accept, however when i try to sell him my map, he refuses. Same turn i secure trade rights and map information from Gaul.

Tragedy has struck, my faction leader has joined his ancestors.

My first target: Bordesholm, in southern Denmark, in preparation of the invasion i send my spy Ariovistus as reconnaissance.

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:14:30 AM »
Sparks are flying in the world around us, 5 nations declare war!

Back to Germania, my general Ricburgus, esteemed member of my family,  is ready to bring down Bordesholm and claim it for Germania.

My strategy is simple, form a spear wall with my phalanx warband, place my skirmishers behind to pepper the enemy with javelins protected, and finally have my cavalry ready to chase down routers.

Sharp as ever, the AI charges right into the forest of spears:

Some however, manage to get through the spears as im moving up towards the plaza and cost me 8 men, they then succumb to superior numbers. The battle is easily won with little loss of life.

My next target lies to the east and i prepare the invasion by moving my spy there along with a small force of warband and cavalry.

Looks like the British are getting a bit worked up, they've sent a size able force into German lands!

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:17:07 AM »
My fears where not unfounded, they've sent two armies into German lands, one besieges Trier, the other heads North towards Bordesholm. Because i'm not very good at sallying, and fear losing many men, I will wait for them to attack my walls, my phalanx will stop them dead in their tracks trying to get through the gate.

The Northern British force catches up with Vannius forcing him into battle, after a short battle, Vannius is defeated and retreats to Batavadorum.

The assault is ready, my troops prepare to take Chondomarius, although their army is slightly bigger than the one protecting Bordesholm, this should be no problem.

I attempt to get the spearband protecting this wall to charge into my phalanx using my cavalry to tempt them however it is no go, so I'm forced to bring everything in and take them by numbers.

As i arrive at the town square, i form a nice spear wall and as the rebels are engaged with that, i charge my cavalry and infantry into their backs.

An average victory, i would say, because of the number of dead.

I enslave once more, this is how i leave the world for the day. Tomorrow, new conquests, influenced, of course, by your advice.

BTW, there seems to be a limit on how many pictures i can post in one reply, hence i cut it in 3.

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:34:46 AM »
JUNE 05 2008

Okay, well now posts yet, and seeing as im on a deadline, here we go:

As you remember from yesterday, a british army had besieged Trier, i was going to wait for them to attack me and then take them at the choke-points. Half a year later, here we are.

The siege battle start, and our brave Germanic brothers ready themselves to face the enemy, outnumbered and outclassed, they're hope remains on the strategy of stopping the enemy with a spear wall:

The brits have chosen their spots, now are warriors get into position

The spearwall is in position, and having no other option but to go forward, they charge straight into our spears!

The first battlefront is no more, now there is only a cluster of panicked brits trying to break through the phalanx at the Gate.

They're general is no coward! He charges his whole unit into my phalanx, a brave but immensely stupid act. Upon hitting spears he falls, a spear pierces his abdomen, blood is everywhere, and the cries of the screeching women is the last thing he hears...

The enemy have been crushed by our brave warriors! Tonight we shall have feasts in the dead's honor!

The remaining force routs, rejoins their petty villages, they will tell their children of Germanic might! News must not have reached this second army, as they besiege Batavadorum, unawares that their fate is same as those who rose against Germania at the battle of Trier.

I've sent Segestes, my kinsmen, to destroy the British presence on the mainland, with this foothold gone, they will have a harder time attacking our troops. Segestes is now within a few months distance of Samarobriva.

Our careful flattery has earned us an ally!

British soldiers besieging Batavadorum have readied the attack, this is their last day on earth...literally.

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 04:32:26 AM »
Same tactics, this has proven invaluable in siege battles

The brits charge straight into the forest of spears, men fall, screams of agony fill the air. However there are brits to take the dead's place, walking over their fallen breatheren they follow their Warlords orders in turn falling over, bleeding or mutilated.

Perhaps inspired by his soldier's courage, the Warlord himself charges into the fray, almost as quickly as it started, all 18 of them lay on the ground, injured or dead.

Tis the second wave, more food for the crows.

The brave man hunts the brits down to the last, nothing remains of a once prestigious and powerful force of Britain's finest.

A heroic victory!

Our skilled diplomat has arranged an alliance with Scythia, we are now protected from the East.

Those Gauls are treacherous! they break their alliance with us, conveniently, theyve got several armies in German territory, they shall feel our wrath!

Our siege equipment is ready! its time to take samarobriva.

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 04:37:09 AM »
The strategy is simple, take strategic points with the phalanx and coax the chariots to charge into them, once they're gone, il take whats left with numbers.

Our soldiers have breached the walls!

One enemy warband unit gets a bit cocky and decides to take on my troops all by itself, quickly annihilated.

The plan is a success, the chariots have met their bloody demise!

Closing in on the enemy

Our soldiers charge!

Not a bad victory   :)                                                      

We've repelled several hostile attacks and this is the world how I leave today, tomorrow, more glory and conquest, but enough for today.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:35:45 PM »
Kill! Kill!  :D
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

stormcloud

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Blah de blah!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 10:58:20 AM »
Never trust your allies, always keep a sizeable force near the borders, I deters them from wistful thinking of your green pastures, if they cant win they wont attack and if they don't attack you have an ally guarding your side.

I would recommend forcing the Britans off the mainland and starting an alliance, the channel will stop sizeable forces and it is difficult to push through without preparation, meaning a waste of time and resources trying to take the islands

Force the Gauls back, they are only dangerous if given the time to build large armies, with smaller ones being easy to break

And lastly I have never played a Germany campaign and hardly ever quick battle with them, so I have a limited knowledge of their units, I trust there is a competent battle advisor to help you with that

P.S my removable hard drive packed in :(, and I cant find my rome discs (double :(), so I cant now go and analyse german units

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
I've already wiped the brits off the mainland, except a small fort scarcly garrisoned, however i hesitate to attack it because ive already declared peace with them (i think). Also, sorry i didnt update this yesterday, in the middle of my posting, invision crapped out and i couldnt access the forums. so il be posting 2 days worth of AAR. I plan on talking most of gaul and waging war with Dacia however i don't want to push east as thats where large and useless regions are.

JUNE 06 2008

Jubal: Hehe...okay  :P                                                      

Good news! Seeing the error of their ways, the brits have begged for peace, preoccupied by Gaul's incessant raids, I accept.

Speaking of Gaul, they've got a nice little double-team strategy going here. Together, they make a practically a full stack.

Down south, Vannius prepares to wage war with the Dacians for Lovosice.

The Gallic force has attacked our walls! Its time to send them to the afterlife! this is the most bloody battle in this game, both forces are nearly wiped out.

Same strategy as usual when defending, unfortunately, because i was attacked from both sides, i could not reinforce areas, my other phalanx had to take care of the whole second Gallic army on the other side.

They're army is mainly comprised of warbands, equal in rank to mine, however they've got about 3 times as many...

The enemy is at the gates!

The Gauls manage to get through using sheer number, and the phalanx is broken, the formation ineffective at this point, i switch them to sword combat.

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »
My warband have been slain, and now the remnants of the Gallic force push to outflank my second phalanx protecting the second entry point.

Quickly, I charge my cavalry.

That takes care of that side, unfortunately, no time to chase down routers. I then rush whatever i have left to the other side of the village where my third spear warband is wavering, its phalanx already broken.

Before i can get there however, the gauls, with a final effort kill surround and murder my men.

My cavalry has arrived and they easily take the small pockets of warbands left.

The only units left to oppose me are the general's cavalry and a unit of barb cavalry. Unknown to me, however there are 2 generals in the army! My barb cavalry give their lives in this fight but my general manages to kill the rest of the cavalry.

Heroic victory! this battle is very costly and both forces were nearly eliminated. I get 40 soldiers worth of healed troops however.

The gauls are getting ready for another massacre it seems...

The tides of war have shifted, a faction has been destroyed.

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 07:41:25 PM »
I've moved Vannius and my spy close to Lovocise to take the settlement, however they're force matches mine and im loath to waste lives, the assault will wait a bit.

The gallic force attacks, it is a decent force.

There is only on front and because of what happened last siege i decide to reinforce my phlanaxes with 2 units per entry point.

The gauls have brought skirmishers and my men take a few casualties, here i move my fourth warband into position behind the warband defending the wall.

The gauls fight each other for the honor of getting killed first.

Meanwhile, i move my general out into the field to chase down eventual routers, the general's warband gets cocky though and comes after me forcing me to retreat to the edge of the sccreen.

The general refuses to charge so i bring my warband to him and charge!

And i chase down every single router.

Another heroic victory!

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »

Meanwhile in the East, Sesithacus takes this settlement easily.

The new German Empire!

I do not plan on expanding further east and id also love to hear tips on taking on the Dacians at Lovocise. Otherwise, plans include pushing into gaul and expanding towards italy.

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 12:42:11 AM »
JUNE 07 2008

NOTE: I won't be able to post an entry tomorrow due to activities all day, so the AAR will continue Monday.

My ally scythia seems to be getting the urge to expand, i hope, for their sake, they don't try to take our territory.

I've besieged Lovocise and dacias sent some reinforcements. Its good i suppose, kills 2 birds with one stone.

As the battle begins, i form a line with my infantry and immediatly rush my cavalry to take the enemy cavalry: Barb Cav and a General.

My Sarmatian Mercenaries can't seem to follow orders however and charge the falxmen nearby, killing half of their unit. So as not to loose the whole thing, i send in my general.

The falxmen are routing, but at a heavy cost, they killed nearly the whole Sarmatian merc cavalry unit!

I the  send my cavalry to tangle with the enemy general, again, the Sarmatians show their worth and rout within 5 seconds of the charge.

My infantry is nearly at the enemy line and to compensate for the loss of the sarmatians, i send my basternae to help me out.

My soldiers then mob the remaining infantry while my cavalry takes down the archers.

I chase down a bit of routers.

However, in the action, i forget about the reinforcements, and i quit the battle, resulting in a close defeat  :angry:      

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Germania AAR
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 12:56:39 AM »
I send a small force down to Iuvavum to take the settlement from Gaul.

Meanwhile i prepare a force to push westwards into Gaul, this army will be takeing a moderately defended Alesia.

Because of my stupid mistake, the army still remains and ive got to clean it up.

I bring my basternae and Cav over to one set of reinforcements. My cav takes care of their mounted soldiers while my Basternae routs their warbands.

My main infantry body takes theirs in a mob.

Time to finish off their last reinforcement force.

Easily accomplished by mobbing.

The result: A Clear Victory.

A dacian force manages to catch up to a watchtower-building general and forces him into combat. A defeat.