Website discussion

Started by Jubal, October 20, 2008, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jubal

Advance warning that we might have downtime again this week for the same reason as last time: we really need to get this SSL tech problem onto a longer term solution :(
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

My site auto renews fine using lets encrypt.

Are there issues getting it to work for exilian?
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

Yeah, the issue is that Tsohost does not give access to Let's Encrypt on whatever plan it is we have.

I've purchased a certificate that will do 1yr for the time being, which cost about ten euros. But we should move host. If we're willing to commit to a new host for a while (like, pay three or four years up front as a bundle deal, which we do have the budget for), some of the introductory offers could save us a considerable amount of cash too.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

Hm ok, so it's a case of finding some new hosting.

Wonder how much it would cost to host on AWS along with my site! Maybe I should come up with a quote  ;D
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

We should get back to this soon - I think Hostinger was the best option I found so far but we should do more checks.

dubsartur

Are the omnishambles at reddit, YouTube, or twitter affecting Exilian's outreach at all?

Since Piped and Nitter don't work right now I am trying life without YouTube or Twitter.

Jubal

Quote from: dubsartur on July 02, 2023, 08:54:36 PM
Are the omnishambles at reddit, YouTube, or twitter affecting Exilian's outreach at all?

Since Piped and Nitter don't work right now I am trying life without YouTube or Twitter.

What's going on at YouTube? I haven't noticed issues there...

But generally no, our reach on old social media is near zero anyway, so if anything we get a very small benefit from the chaos by more people moving e.g. to Mastodon. I wish we could scoop up more of the better kind of redditors but I just don't know how to reach those people.

dubsartur

YouTube has blocked Piped, which is my preferred alternative front end, and is trying to block adblockers.  I have heard that they blocked youtube-dl (the command-line tool to, well, download youtube videos) but I have not tried it in the past few days.

I know one of the mods at r/askHistorians.  This person was also active on twitter so maybe they are seeing why I kept at arms length from big corporate social media services.  I expect that they are looking for another place to host their community but that would have to be a dedicated site or service.