Author Topic: SR: How You Can Help  (Read 16905 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
SR: How You Can Help
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:27:50 PM »
This thread will be a list of competitions and minor contributions YOU can make to Southern Realms. Anyone who does will get their name in the credits, and possibly even a lord/character named after them ingame!

Okay, current things I need doing;

COMPETITION: DESIGN A CLAIMANT

I need you to design a faction claimant for either the Duchy of Rhonewar, the Duchy of Mallardia, or the County of Thuralia. All you need to do is fill in a convincing, interesting, and clever dialog into the Module framework. The one below is an example, my claimant for the Red Khanate:
Spoiler: click to toggle

All the faction claimants use the same pattern of dialog: an intro and 3-part story for the claimant, and a 2-part response from the reigning monarch. Feel free to name your characters what you like, and make up all sorts of ways in which they were justly or unjustly thrown out of the kingdom. Fill your story (in proper standard English) into the pattern given below:

The best claimant for each of the 3 mini-factions will go ingame and the maker's name added to the credits!

TASK: SCENE BUILDING
As you've probably all worked out, there are lots of scenes in SR that are incomplete or nonexistent, and several of the ones that are there are rehashes of native. So here's how you can help:
- First, start your game in edit mode. This can be selected on the options when you load up M&B.
- Play the game!
- When you DO come to a scene that you feel needs work, press cntrl + E, then get on with building it up.
- When you're done, go in Windows Explorer to Mount & Blade -> Modules -> Southern Realms -> SceneObj
- Using the below list of places, find the scene you were working on. The list is kinda long, so I'd advise putting the list into a document so you can use search on it for the town/castle/village you want.
- Zip your scene, post it as an attachment in this thread.
- Look on with pride as your name is added to the SR team list!

Tutorial on AI meshing (there are many locations without them or with bad ones so please check).
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,61126.0.html

Tut on getting started with edit mode
http://s9.zetaboards.com/exilian?topic=467530

FINALLY, if you need someone to ask for advice, xGhost4000x is the team's most experienced scener so looking in at his "scene progress" thread and/or talking to him or myself would be good ideas.

TASK: TRADE ROUTES

This is both the most boring and the most useful task. Basically, the below bit of code creates the trade routes between cities. And it ain't finished. I need someone to go through, decide which cities should trade with which (routes should be to should be 2-4 of the closest cities), and fill them in. As you go down you'll have less new entries for each city as ones from lower numbered cities wil already point there.

Look at the city lst for scene editors: that will tell you which city is which.
Aaaand this is the set of script calls you need to edit; it all goes in the same pattern as the ones here, just continue from what I've given you.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:28:06 PM »
List of villages, castles, and cities, for use by scene editors:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:28:49 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

xGhost4000x

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:52:56 PM »
I have a friend who likes writing. I told him about your contest and he seems interested, I'll give him the link to this page. It would probably help if you could lay out some form of backstory or atleast a general idea of what each of those factions are like, (from the look of their names they all must have broken off of a larger kingdom correct?)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:53:07 PM by xGhost4000x »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
The reason I picked those 3 is that they're the ones with least backstory; I'll give you what I have though They're all tiny, petty states bordering much larger powers, and all have quite feudal systems of government.

Mallardia is probably a crusader state, founded as part of the reconquista of the southern Gorin peninsula. The only thing they are famous for is having a surprisingly tough fleet of privateers; essentially an unpaid navy liable to prey on both enemies and merchants. The whole country is also kind of a running joke, as everything they have is named after a type of duck; Mallard for the state, Gadwall is their leader, Pochard is the castle and Teal their village.

Thuralia was originally a loyal part of a kingdom long since swallowed up by the advance of the Goriniae; a mercenary captain serving with the Goriniae took the relatively protected enclave for his own, building a strong castle to guard it from invasion. Although not originally exceptional at all, long years of beating back their powerful norther neighbour have bred a hardy, militarist and suspicious people adept as raiders and in demand as mercenaries.

Rhonewar has more of an independent history; even before the Gorin empire expanded, the barbarians and woodsmen of this little area lived undisturbed as the "civilised" folk further south could not see the benefit in battling their way through the thick forests and rolling hills that lay in the shadow of the great mountains for no real prize. The Goriniae, too, ignored it at first; the discovery of rich copper deposits changed their attitude rather. A scholar from Swadia was at that time in the region, also looking for wealth in the mountains and hoping to profit by leading the newcomers to good mines. However, impressed by the hardy folk he encountered, he found himself advising villages on how to defend themselves against the enslavement that would befall them if the enemy came. Eventually he - barely willingly - led a militia force against the Goriniae. His mastery of forest tactics led to total success, and while his foes were in disarray he quickly took charge of building defences, eventually culminating in Rhonewar's vast ducal castle. Crowned Duke by the villagers, the unwilling hero has become a figurehead and legend for the people of Rhonewar, who enjoy more freedom than serfs in most other countries.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »
I am willing to help with the faction claimants but what factions need doing and what are the history of each faction.

assassin>>>> :ninja:
 :knight: :DarkstarOnly: :knight:
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:41:16 PM »
Mallardia, Thuralia and Rhonewar at the moment, which is why I posted their history already. After that I might post some more if those get done.

Brother Librarian

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 06:09:05 AM »
ive started work editing the scenes that were impossibly silly. i did a big fix up on the red khanate caslte walls. so they no longer fly.

a small bit of the keep is still flying, but there are stairs up to the main door. oh and i put a chest into the internal scene.

in order for the chest to then be usable is anything special rquired? or is just that chests in your own castle internal scenes are automatically useable. next up will be the spawn points for that castle - then the same for the towns in gorrina.

- did the same raising of floor to nice level and adding chest to the Harlushian castle. - although i didnt raise the floor the mysterious tower that is apart from the rest and ridiculously high up.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:21:03 AM by Brother Librarian »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 05:13:46 PM »
There is some scripting required for chests, and I can't remember how it works...

Brother Librarian

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 05:59:15 AM »
well i put a chest in every castle internal scene that needed one int he entire gorrin empire.

also while i can work out the spawn points generally from your tutorial and stuff. i cant work out which ones relate to where people spawn in sieges.

becuase loads of the places in Gorrina empire have the scenes built, but when you siege them either everyone spawns in the same place somewhere riduculous or they spawn on a blank map in the corner all bunched up with both sides. even when town wall scenes have been built.
how could i fix this?

oh and is there are way of selecting multiple objects to lower them as a gropu?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:21:19 AM by Brother Librarian »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 02:31:40 PM »
I think you can select multiple objects just by clicking on them in the llist of objects on the edit menu.

The spawn issues are lack of spawn points in the right place, and also lackof an AI mesh. I'll try and work out the spawn points at some point (it's a trial and experimentation jobbie if you want to do it; just spread out spawn points and note where the allies/enemies etc spawn and where reinforcements come from.

And sounds like I'll be needing to get my scripts going to get all those chests in gear at some point... after exams...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »
I could help you with something... It looks like you were very busy these last few weeks...
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 11:04:35 AM »
HELP!! I was doing one of the castles and when I saved it and got back into it half of the map went back to the way it was when I started it. That is very anoing when I am doing a mountain range and the origonal was a plain. How do I fix it.

Assassin >> :ninja:

:knight:  :DarkstarOnly:  :knight:

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:16 AM »
Ok so I’m writing a sorry about the Southern Realms mod (Well not about it its self just based on the factions, characters and the map layout). first I’m asking if I have permission (It is entirely for the mods purpose) and secondly I need faction backgrounds for the Kingdom of the Kingdom of Dharroks, Commagene Empire, Grand Duchy of Monemvasia, City of Tenthala, Hematite Emirate, Lusitanian Empire, Kingdom of Swadia, Kingdom of Vaegirs, Khergit Khanate, Kingdom of Nords, Kingdom of Rhodoks, Empire of Gorinia, Kingdom of Voroks, Republic of Geroia, City of Harlaushia, Kingdom of Lacontia, Kingdom of Alania, Princedom of Curaw, Red Khanate, Kingdom of Aurothia. Also whilst writing it I might ask for backgrounds for the lords and ladies and kings of the Southern Realms.

P.S. sorry if it’s too much for you :D . If you like i'll just make up my own.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 12:27:38 PM »
I can give you as much detail as you need, sure. I'm out today but I'll try and get stuff done for you soon. Do you have MSN? You could ask me whatever you needed then much faster.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 10:04:42 PM »
I once did have MSN before but people keep on hacking into my account so I don’t use it any more. It doesn’t mater any way cus I'm a slow writer. atm all I need now is the back ground on the City of Harlaushia. The main Character is an Assassin ;) .