Author Topic: Amazonia : Total War  (Read 6189 times)

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Amazonia : Total War
« on: June 16, 2008, 05:15:43 AM »
Its been out awhile but i really like the concept of a woman run faction, and SubRosa's completely integrated this function (Suitors are now women!). Anyway, i really enjoyed this mod and thought i'd post it here, discuss.

Original Post

Quote from: "Abbreviated Main Thread"
Amazon Total War 1.7b is now out![/color]

Amazon Total War is a conversion for Rome Total war version 1.5. It uses the mod:switch option, so it will not interfere with any of your original game files.

ATW features two new Amazon factions, that of Amazonia and their rivals New Amazonia. It includes a new culture for them, with new units, generals, retinue members, and traits. My inspiration for this was the Amazons of legend, and I have tried to keep everything in the mod in the spirit of those legends. So just as legend has it, the Amazons are outstanding archers and horsewomen. They also fight in the standard greek hoplite style, as well as having some troops using axes. As the Amazons were not known to be sailors of any skill, I have limited them to recruiting biremes and triremes.

As the Amazons were reputed to be the progenitors of the Sarmatian people, I have tried to emulate this tie to the plains by making Amazonia and Scythia begin the game as Allies. I have also made Sarmatian mercenaries recruitable in Amazonia, as well as Amazon mercs recruitable across the steppes.

While all Generals are female, the spies, assassins, and diplomats remain male by design. These men would be specially recruited from the Amazons courtesan class of men, or from men in foreign lands. The reason being that in the world outside of Amazonia men can move far more easily than women can. Due to the constraints of the game's hard coding, they will all have female names however.

But Amazons are not all that is different in ATW. There is also a new faction of Sarmatia, occupying their ancestral homelands between the Don and Volga rivers. Scythia has been moved to its more historically accurate starting position in the Crimea and lower Ukraine. Scythia has also undergone a large change in its unit roster, now having several more infantry units of better quality than before.

Every Barbarian faction now has a 4th tier of development. There are many new units, including Onagers for all Barbarians. Maiden Axes have been added to Britannia and Gaul. Chosen Slingers added to Britannia, Carthage, and Iberia. Dacia and Thrace now have Chosen Falxmen. Gaul and Germania have regular Archer Warbands. Mercenary Cretan Archers and Rhodian Slingers are now recruitable by the Hellenic factions from their home islands. Scutarii are now recruitable by Carthage. In addition I have tweaked the stats of many units, such as increasing the range and damage of all Slingers, reducing the attack of Warhounds, and increasing the attack and defense of Iberian Infantry and Equites, and increased the defense of Naked Fanatics. Many factions have had their unit recruitment trees altered, with most temple units now being recruitable from a regular barracks instead. Even the game's corruption triggers have been changed so as not to kick in until your treasury reaches 100,000 and 150,000 denarii respectively.

As this is an alpha release there is still a great deal of work to be done. Most of the Amazon models and skins are only placeholders. Permanent replacements will follow in the future. Likewise with new general portraits. I the future I will create new pre-battle speeches, and either disable or replace the general audio, and other male battle sounds in a later release, and possibly add strategic map sound effects for Amazon units.

Enough chatter. You can find ATW at my page on Filefront:
Filefront - Sappho (make sure you click "Show All" to see all files there.

Or you can use the direct links:

Amazon: Total War 1.7b - Full Version

Amazon: Total War -  Patch from 1.7 to 1.7b

New Additions in version 1.7:
  • Added faction of New Amazonia.

• Added faction of Sarmatia.

• Broke up the Roman superfaction, leaving it a single faction of SPQR.

• Dramatic changes to Scythia starting position and units.

• Added two dozen new territories to the eastern plains and Armenian mountains.

• Increased base farming level of most barbarian settlements.

• Increased attack and defense of Naked Fanatics.

• Stone Walls and Academies now give a law bonus.

New Additions in version 1.7b:
  • Female voices for Amazon Generals.

Here are some pictures to look at while you wait for the download.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »
Link to OP?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Private Clark

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:48:22 AM »
added a link.