Author Topic: Map  (Read 10018 times)

comrade_general

Map
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:55:59 AM »
Ok Jubal, get ready to squeal like a little girl.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm surprised how easy this is for me; that was one hour of work (with no CTDs).
Still a lot to do yet, but there you go.  :D

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:25:59 AM by comrade_general »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Map
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:47:51 PM »
PM me about this; I'm unsure whether it's worth adding the whole Warhammer World, sue to the fact that most of the factions in the East would have to be missed out anyway due to lack of faction slots. I'll tell you where the crop lines need to be as soon as possible (but that may not be until a few days' time, I'm working in a total panic right now). Basically the Western half is all good, but the E needs to be cut... I'll find a picture.

*squeals* anyhow, though, lovely stuff. :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:48:10 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Map
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:01:35 PM »
Okay, pictures (screw work. :P)

Here's the area which I can actually cover with the factions I have, with the whole world for comparison (it's a LOT smaller than the whole thing);

Having the map as big as you can over the area would be nice, though; the Empire being big enough to have 12 or 13 provinces roughly would be a good guide if that's possible.

Many, many thanks... I feel kinda bad about having to tell you all this, but it's better than having a map that doesn't quite do what it needs to.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:02:24 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Map
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »
I was expecting some feedback thats why I only went as far as I did.  ;)

Should have those corrections made in a jiffy.

comrade_general

Map
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:13:20 PM »
Here you go:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its bigger than RTW's map.  B)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:25:41 AM by comrade_general »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Map
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:15:57 PM »
Genuine WIN. Loooovely work. :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:28:07 PM by Jubal »

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Map
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 11:21:53 PM »
Good job !
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

comrade_general

Map
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 11:26:32 PM »
Thanks  :flashy:

Now its on to the terraforming.  :knight:

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Map
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »
Do you want me to search out good detail maps of the individual parts of the world for you? There are often several versions on the web, and it's easy to find versions from really old warhammer editions that don't fit with the current systems.

comrade_general

Map
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 11:29:57 PM »
Yes, any info you can provide would be fantastic.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Map
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 11:38:51 PM »
I'm gonna have to crash now, sorry; I'll google up some good maps next time I'm awake and at a computer.

Neeeed sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.  -_-

Many thanks for this, anyhow; I'll have to remind myself how to mod RTW properly over the weekend.

comrade_general

Map
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 07:36:28 PM »
I've found some detailed maps, like this one in particular.

I think the best thing you can do is to look at the RTW map and compare as in: 'make this part look like Gaul, this part like Libya, etc.' and also what trees belong where (deciduous, evergreen, tropical).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Map
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »
Okay, here's some details & notes on terraforming and provinces (the two need to be quite interlinked really)

- "The Old World" is the most important area to do in detail. It contains more factions than any other major area, for one thing; the Empire's 2 factions, Brettonia, Kislev, Luccini, the Skaven, the Wood Elves, and the Dwarfs are all based here. So here are some maps of that bit;

This is THE best wide-scale map, mix of cities and terrain. All the cities on here need to be provincial capitals and then some, really, though more on that later; it's noce and accurate to what the coastlines should be, and everything ftes well. Shows forests and Mountains too.
Spoiler: click to toggle

Real-World locations for the factions;
Empire - Germany/Holy Roman Empire
Sylvania - Transylvania
World's Edge Mountains - Urals probably, but they should be friggin' big and with decent numbers of passes, etc, as well, since the Dwarf provinces are all in the mountains. Same goes for the Black Mountains, the Vaults, and the southern grey mountains
Mountains of Mourn - Ogreland, think Himalayas on crack. Just go as big as you feel like, this area has giant wooly mammoths wandering round the passes in large herds quite happily.
Darklands - Kinda like the steppes but more desertified. Pretty bloody barren is the feel.
Brettonia - France
Estalia - Spain
Tilea - Italy
Border Princes - Eastern Europe, will be rebels basically.
Kislev - Russia (but with winged lancers so kinda polish too)
Norsca - Scandinavia
Plain of Zharr - Assyria
Araby - Arabia
Land of the Dead - Egypt
Badlands - No good analogue, but think the Canadian badlands and you ahve a good idea of the terrain.

This is a map of the Empire and its terrain (mostly forests).;

Of Brettonia (Although Loren Forest should be preferably pretty big compared to Warhammer's "reality", since I have to fit a whole faction in there).

Estalia;

Tilea (Make Sartosa bigger than shown if poss, as I want it to be a province of its own);

And Kislev;

Beyond the above, you have a petty wide license. The first map is very much the best, so rely on it more than the others although they are good for more in-depth views.

As for the rest of the map;

Ulthuan, the HE land;

For Naggaroth (the bit next up and left from Ulthuan that would be the US in our world), take the buzzwords "Chill", "Dread", "Fear", and run with them. There's only gonna be 2 starting factions there, and there aren't many maps I like much, so just roll with whatever feels right for a faction of evil murderous elves.

For the Chaos Wastes across the North, again "Chaos Wastes" should give you the picture. Most WHFB maps just mark it as "here be daemons" or somesuch.

For the Southlands (South of the Arabian Peninsula and the bottom of the World's Edge Mountains) and Lustria (down and left from Ulthuan), the areas are jungle; since RTW doesn't have a jungle terrain AFAIK, just do whatever looks right for now; again only 2-3 factions start in all these areas.

Oh, and finally here's a (pretty blooming rough) cllimate map by yours truly. I've simplified a lot, but blue is coooold, Green is N European to Alpine, Red is Mediterranean, Yellow is desert/arid, Dark Green is tropical.

Hope all that is helpful in some measure or another. :)

comrade_general

Map
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 01:09:17 AM »
Excellent info!  B)

One other thing though: where should there be snow, and does that cooold mean snow is there all the time?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Map
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 08:22:25 AM »
Blue and Green should have winter snow, as for all-year-round snow certainly the Land of Chill, Norsca, and Kislev... basically where I've put the blue, but possibly minus the north of the Empire, Albion, and a lot of the "North America" area south of the Land of Chill.