Author Topic: UK Election: Jubal's Coverage  (Read 10235 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
UK Election: Jubal's Coverage
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 04:43:31 PM »
*coughelectoralreformcough*
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Goldyrulz

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • WARNING *May Contain Sarcasm*
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »
*coughprobablywon'thappencough*

(\__/)
(='.'=)   This is Bunneh. Copy and paste bunneh into your
(")_(")  signature to help him gain world domination

The Original Bunneh

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 09:39:53 PM »
What a shame, though.
Lords needs to be reformed - and ideally elected on a candidate basis, and general elections should run on some system which makes some use of PR, even if 'true' PR is seen to create govts. which are too weak. I'm generally opposed to voting in constituencies, as well - possibly larger areas, with multiple MPs elected by PR would work better, I don't know.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Part Six: Electoral Reform and why we need it

Electoral Reform is, for me, the most important issue of this election. It's the first that will affect me when I get to cast my own vote, for starters, but also it's one of the most clear weaknesses in our democratic system. Banks and economies go up and down, immigration increases and decreases, wars even come and go, but the system by which the British people decide who is running the country is a constant and important fact of life and, whatever our circumstances, always will be.

The fact is that our voting system is unfair, and grossly so. When the Lib Dems reached 34% of the vote, ahead of all other parties, earlier this week the BBC's seat calculator stull put them fifty seats behind the Conservative OR Labour parties despite the fact that they had a 3% lead over the Tories and nearly a 7% lead over Labour! This system is clearly not designed for fair representation. Its proponents, primarily the Conservatives, claim that it is vital as it delivers "stable government". Stability is perhaps, to an extent, an overrated factor in politics. We need a working government, of course, but stability at the cost of effective representation, carried to its logical conclusion, creates a very ossified political heirachy that is very bad for a country.

The alternatives are myriad; I'll leave you to look up the Single Transferrable Vote, Alternative Vote, Alternative Member, and Proportional Representation systems to gather yur own thoughts. The fact is, though, that the system we have now simply doesn't work in a democratic and fair way. And a democracy that doesn't work can, horribly easily, become no democracy at all.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 09:02:48 PM »
Quote from: "Jubal"
Part Six: Electoral Reform and why we need it
The alternatives are myriad; I'll leave you to look up the Single Transferrable Vote, Alternative Vote, Alternative Member, and Proportional Representation systems to gather yur own thoughts. The fact is, though, that the system we have now simply doesn't work in a democratic and fair way. And a democracy that doesn't work can, horribly easily, become no democracy at all.
At the moment, it almost *is* no democracy. We have a choice between two parties, who differ in their leader and some of the fine detail... Not much good, really.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 04:56:41 PM »
Exactement. You know what? I agree with Nick.  :D

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
Quote from: "Jubal"
Exactement. You know what? I agree with Nick.  :D
Who woulda thunk it?

Goldyrulz

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 04:45:51 PM »
And Labour (actually just Brown) have just lost the election!

Go Sue! For those who do not know, Sue is an aide to Gordon ... la la la .... and basically Brown talked to an old labour voter somewhere in England, then got in his car, was chaffeured away and with the microphone still on, he said the meeting was a disaster, blamed Sue and then called the old woman whom he had talked to a Biggot!

Well that went down a storm with news people and papers!

Good luck to Mr B for trying to get out of this one!

(\__/)

The Original Bunneh

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
Dammit, Sue!

Goldyrulz

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45:42 PM »
And yesterday night saw the last leaders debate which once again produced no fighting, only bickering which was very disappointing.

Here is the latest polls

Latest Polls

(\__/)

The Original Bunneh

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 12:08:07 PM »
Saw Dave on Andrew Marr's show this morning; has he got Icantanswerastraightquestionitis?

Goldyrulz

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 07:26:20 PM »
Yay, polling time tomorrow! Lets see which party gets in! Which way will the lib Dems go when it becomes a hung parliament! Oh isn't it all so NOT exciting when people will hear the groans of about 10 million unhappy people who don't like what happened but forgot to vote anyway....

(\__/)

The Original Bunneh

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 05:19:37 PM »
I like the fact that Google Ads is giving us Lib Dem adverts on the forum. :P

Here goes, anyway; wherever you are, whoever you are, my last piece of coverage is this; the Tories have been out of power for 13 years.

And there's a reason for that.  :P

joek

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 11:41:59 AM »
With 29 seats still to declare their results, we now have the first hung parliament in Britain since 1974, when Ted Heath failed to reach any agreements with the Liberals, and was forced out of power.
Gordon Brown now has 12 days to attempt to come to some sort of agreement with the LibDems and other minor parties, in order for him to stay as PM, otherwise D Cameron will get his opportunity.

DeepComet5581

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Kitten with a Camera
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 12:16:55 PM »
Results after 622 of 650 seats:

Conservatives - 292
Labour - 251
Lib Dems - 52
Others - 27

Nearly all undeclared seats at this point in time are either strong Tory or Lib Dem seats, or weak Labour ones. Seats in the South are easily going Blue or Yellow. The real contest is in the North. Even senior Labour Ministers like Jacqui Smith have lost their seats.

Nick Clegg has made a statement saying that he will support the party who has the most votes at the end of the count. This makes it more likely that he will support the Tories. He has also said that he will consider an offer from and will talk to the Tories first.

An inside source has said that talks with Labour have broken down.

Jubal - There's a reason Labour are doing badly.
I used to do actual stuff around here, don't you know?

I would be ever so grateful if you would visit my YouTube Channel :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsLjOCNLe0ECID84Y3nrEjQ