Author Topic: Going to be Away?  (Read 227123 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Going to be Away?
« Reply #630 on: September 21, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
Destination UNKNOWN D:
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #631 on: September 21, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »
That there Cyprus for a bit of diving and driving
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #632 on: September 21, 2018, 10:11:19 PM »
Ooh, Cyprus is lovely :) Which part of it? I went to the Paphos area a few years back.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Tusky

• Sebastokrator
    Citizens' Officer
    • View Profile
    • Tusky Games
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: September 21, 2018, 10:16:15 PM »
Nice! I've visited Paphos when I was younger and remember it being an interesting place.

I'll be based not far from there in Limassol . There will be a fair bit of car based roamage too :)
<< Signature redacted >>

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #634 on: September 24, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »
I'm just stepping into my plane to go back to Vienna - hopefully it'll be an OK flight, it's a bit delayed so I'm nervous about catching my train at the other end...

comrade_general

« Reply #635 on: September 24, 2018, 08:23:18 PM »
If you don't catch it it shouldn't be hard to find - they always leave tracks.

Badumtish.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #636 on: September 25, 2018, 12:11:27 AM »
Got it with five rounds minutes to spare :)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #637 on: September 28, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »
And more awayness for me: ten days travelling around Europe (by train, inevitably!). Tomorrow I fly out to Sofia, in Bulgaria (a new country for me), and on Sunday embark on a circular tour of the southern Balkans by special train, via southern Serbia, Macedonia, northern Greece (including Thessaloniki), and back through southern Bulgaria to Sofia. This is spread over a week. Then it's on to Germany, for a day or so, around Hannover, and finally back home on Monday 8 October.

Access to Exilian is likely to be intermittent, especially in Serbia and Macedonia where I may not have mobile data roaming. However, based on previous experience, I expect that there will be internet.

comrade_general

« Reply #638 on: September 28, 2018, 11:39:11 AM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #639 on: September 28, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »
I feel like this is going to need to go in the Hitch-hiker's Guide soon...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #640 on: September 29, 2018, 01:31:47 PM »
Indeed, especially if CG has anything to do with it.

In other news, I have now reached Sofia. There is internet :) There are also mountains, or at least very large hills, close to the city, and lots of buildings from perhaps the mid-nineteenth century onwards. I suspect there is an older city centre somewhere nearby.

As an added linguistic excitement, I don't speak any Bulgarian (though it's similar to other Slavic languages) and it's all written in Cyrillic, which I can transliterate with some effort.

Also, I've realised, I've increased my "Womble world tour" score by one, i.e. I've visited another place after which a Womble is named - Bulgaria in this case. Previous such locations have included Wellington and Adelaide. Unfortunately, there are still a lot to do: Tobermory, Orinoco, Bungo and Tomsk as obvious ones.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:38:23 PM by Glaurung »

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #641 on: September 30, 2018, 08:01:57 AM »
Further news from Sofia: the hotel I'm staying in is hosting a dental conference, and the space outside the breakfast room is the commercial exhibition. Leaving breakfast to be faced with a stall covered in dentist's tools was not an experience I had on my list for today...

comrade_general

« Reply #642 on: September 30, 2018, 12:20:37 PM »
That really must be a shocking sight, especially for a British man! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #643 on: September 30, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »
Also, I've realised, I've increased my "Womble world tour" score by one, i.e. I've visited another place after which a Womble is named - Bulgaria in this case. Previous such locations have included Wellington and Adelaide. Unfortunately, there are still a lot to do: Tobermory, Orinoco, Bungo and Tomsk as obvious ones.
Hm, Orinoco may be a challenge! Bungo at least you have options for - Indonesia, Japan, Angola, and curiously a suburb of Edinburgh. I wonder which one the name was done for...! Apparently there's a Tobermory on either side of the Atlantic too so there's options there.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #644 on: September 30, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »
And so to Serbia, via some rather scenic country. There is internet here too :) Alas, data roaming is horribly expensive, so I'm using hotel WiFi.