Author Topic: Narnia films  (Read 8501 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« on: December 04, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »
I was discussing these with a friend recently, since the third one's coming out soon.

Who's seen them, and what did you think of the two so far?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:54:52 PM »
I've seen the first one, I think ... It wasn't bad...
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
I've been rereading the books; they're hilarious, it's basically Christian Apologetics for Children. The stories are good, but there's too much biblical influence on them really.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:09:21 AM »
Quote from: "Jubal"
The stories are good, but there's too much biblical influence on them really.
Could you please give me an example? I don't remember much, and your statement surprised me a lot.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 04:17:14 AM »
If you read through them again, an obvious example is Aslan.

But yeah, the new films are good. They aren't brilliant, but they're better than the ridiculous stuff the beeb came out with before.
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

comrade_general

Narnia films
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 05:52:29 AM »
Never bothered to see them, just like Harry Pothead. Give me LOTR or give me death. ;)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
Quote from: "debux"
Quote from: "Jubal"
The stories are good, but there's too much biblical influence on them really.
Could you please give me an example? I don't remember much, and your statement surprised me a lot.
Aslan is Jesus, the Emperor over the Sea is god.

In The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe Asland gets sacrificed to save a man and returns from the dead. Deja vu much?
At the end of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, he actually turns into a lamb (common Christian symbol) in front of the characters.
As to The Last Battle, it's basically just all about Judgement Day, where the Calormenes are unbelievers and the Dwarfs are damned for being atheist.

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »
Wow, nice metaphors. Never occured to me. Although I might consider reading them again (don't remember the one about the lamb in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, nor did I read the Last Battle.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:29:49 PM by debux »
(\__/)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »
Oh, and much of The Magician's Nephew, about the start of Narnia, is to do with apples and sin. There's a whole 2 or 3 chapters of Prince Caspian where the characters realise they could have solved their problem if only they had believed in Lucy's visions of Aslan, too.

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »
Yes, C.S. Lewis ladled the biblical references on with a shovel, but they were still good stories, providing the blatant biblicalism didn't irk you too much.
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

Andalus

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
The analogy is actually what I like about them. Because this is the point - the Bible wasn't written by wicked men. It has some objectionable things in it, but the teachings of Christianity are good values that apply to everyone whether you believe in God or not. I was raised a Christian, and am now atheist, but still I take much of my inspiration from Christian teaching. I will quote the Bible as readily as I will any philosopher.

Many people are put off the good teaching of the Bible by the fact it is tied to religion. What C.S. Lewis did with Narnia was to present those values and messages in a way that was accessible to all. I loved the latest Narnia film not only because it was a great film, but also because it has a message that is a message for everybody, not just those who believe in invisible masters. It's a more overtly analagous book/film than the others, because it lacks an antagonist. The enemy is the characters themselves. All of what is said in the film about temptation, self-worth, conquering your darker side, all these things are true to life, so do not dismiss them just because they are also true to religion.
Du bist kein Schmetterling! Du bist nur eine kleine Raupe in Verkleidung!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »
I agree with that - I'm from a fairly christian background, not family-wise but I went to a C of E school. Where it begins to rankle is only where Lewis moves from teaching the virtues of Christianity to declaring for things I disagree with. For example, the virtues of blind faith over logic (Lucy arguing with the others in Prince Caspian), or the horrific treatment of the Dwarfs in The Last Battle - they were being little armadillos, yes, but I feel Lewis directly links that to the fact they represent atheism and as an atheist with fairly strong moral views that rankles rather.

VOTDT is absolutely my favourite book though, and the idea of a book about conquering your own problems (which as you rightly point out is what it is) is a brilliant one. The Horse and His Boy is very good along similar lines.

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 04:48:38 AM »
About what Andalus says, yeah, there are a lot of virtues in each religion. I adire many of the things that muslims have, like giving money to the poor, and other thing I can't remember right now

my 10 cents (in comparison to the super analistic comments made by the 2 past posters)
(\__/)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 11:12:45 PM »
I think you mean analystic? I noticed very few butt jokes in my own post, at least.  :P

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Narnia films
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 03:48:12 AM »
Well, yeah sure. zetaboards didn't correct me so I supposed it was alright :P

Since when do you make butt jokes? I must be checking the wrong threads.

Or maybe it's the hidden megadux thread *hmm*
(\__/)