Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 3537 times)

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
So, what are your thoughts about it? I don't think there are many FPS players here, but I'm really hyped about it. It might be my first pre-ordered game  :P. Even with no screenies out and just a few promised features.

I'm only worried about prone. I never was able to play BF2 online, and I hated the excessive camping in both MW2 and BO (which I'm happy to say that I don't own), and I've never missed it in BC2, after months of playing it.

What are your thoughts?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
Being a player of Red Orchestra, I like prone, not just because it makes camping easier, although a well place grenade sorts that out, but you can also crawl under rubble and past someone laying down suppresive fire. DICE announcing it as if it were a revolutionary new feature is a bit cheeky though. I only got BC2 because it was cheap on steam.
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:43:14 AM »
Maybe BC2 is affecting my critical sense... I love the fact that one has to resort to other means to escape a hail of bullets, like to create a smoke screen either with a grenade (smoke or GL) or with an RPG. I hated how lame it was when guys in prone would camp out a zone that was either hard to reach with explosives because he was perched on the highest part of a rock or something. Hopefully the destruction 2.0 will avoid that excessive camping.

I agree on the whole promoting the prone position as a revolutionary feature, but I remember that there was quite a bit of moaning because BC2 didn't have it.

I got BC2 because I wanted to play a PC BF game that wasn't too old (BF2), and BC2 was the newest one I think. Besides, it is quite a nice game, except when armadilloty things like a team full of wookies or assault guys are in your team, between other minor annoyances. Actually it was the second box-game (I think it's called retail version, not sure) I ever got, right after RTW.
(\__/)

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:35:35 AM »
BC2 does require you to move around a lot more, leading to a move active, fluid game, and I like that. On the other hand, I also like RO's style of play, which is a bit slower, and sometimes requires more thought before charging into a room. Of course, there are roles that are meant to be camping roles, such as the sniper. I do like in the rush maps on BC2 though, that the sniper has to move more often, else his hidey hole will be a neat pile of rubble with him in it somewhere.
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 06:34:08 PM »
True...although the retarded wookie never gets old. Yesterday, for example, I had 5 guys in my team, aside from me, and the two guys in my team were camping on one of the rock hill in the first stage of Arica Harbour. I had to spam smoke grenades or shoot them with the tank (so that they couldn't see), and spam the text box so that they would move up and help us other dudes.

I have only played Rush the last months, for conquest I already got tired of in BF2. (ugh, the grammar in that sentence sucked). I think the speed are increased because of the hugeness of some maps (especially the vehicle oriented ones like harvest day), where you get some selfish dudes that take the tank for themselves.

I suck as a sniper  :P might be the reason why I don't like the class. I mostly only like the C4/Mortar team and the motion mines, so most of my levels I got them for equipping an assault rifle. Usually I stick around an assault guy, as I always spam my motion mines. They are life savers, dude.

Are you playing Ostfront? I would be kind of interested in getting it. Are you very aware of the next installment? I have read a preview in PCGamer of Heroes of Stalingrad and it sounded quite interesting.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:36:05 PM by debux »
(\__/)

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
Yeah, it's RO Ostfront.

I am aware of the next game coming out, and I am looking forward to it a lot. The original does look dated compared to newer games, but it is more realistic than CoD IMHO. There are quirks, like being small trees stopping MG fire, and the grenade physics are a little wonky, but otherwise the game is good fun, and camping snipers are less of a problem than you think, especially when a well aimed shot from a bolt-action rifle will bring one down no problem.

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
Nice thing is that it's only 10 dollars on steam... although I guess I'll wait for summer sales  :D Better to save than not to.

Just noticed about one of the features, that I forgot to mention; they promise that one can "drag your fallen comrades into safety". I think it's really interesting, but I have a very big feeling it will fail horrible or it won't be included. I also heard they borrowed the animation system or something from the EA Sports side, but I wonder if that will be better or worse. BC2 animations aren't that bad, to my subjective point of view, but I think borrowing sport dedicated animations is kind of far-fetched.

I wish more people expressed their opinion on this... I doubt only two people on this forum play FPS  :P
(\__/)

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »
I am talking about RO above btw. :P

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »
I was trying to get back to topic  :P
(\__/)

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Battlefield 3
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 10:21:40 AM »
I know, I know.

As for BF3, I'm unlikely to get it unless it's in a sale. There are too many other games I'm interested in for BF3 to be priority atm. Although the fact that they say they are putting more work into the PC version would be good.