Author Topic: The Waving Sailor Inn - Lore and Background  (Read 4078 times)

Crossbow Joe

• M&B Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
The Waving Sailor Inn - Lore and Background
« on: March 11, 2011, 12:20:57 AM »
Background
Well several people have asked me what exactly is the background of New Elgante, so I thought I would make a collection of it here so far. I'll add to it a bit more later.
This is a "diary" entry of a priest who resides in one of the larger colonist towns
Spoiler: click to toggle

Basically the colony has been abandoned for reasons unknown, the rebels beleive that without the emperor surveying the area, that they should make their own ruling class. Which are not tyrannical, it is an ideal however. They do not realise that the civil war is only tearing the already weakened colony in half. The Karkan tribe (the "filthy tribe from the mountains") have reportedly been consorting with the rebels but the Empire are not well informed on this. The Arlen tribe are basically the tribe which is being bribed by Elgante to turn on its neighbours. The Lundmen are a break-off of the Karkan Tribe who are on speaking terms with the empire. They trade all sorts of things which sometimes include weapons. They have been slightly duped in this though since the empire sometime does not tell them how to use them. Like the cannon shots being traded to them, without the cannons! The strange tribe who live on the southern promontory shaped like a snakes head seem completely alienated with every other tribe, as well as the colonist and rebels. They are providing the most stubborn resistance
to the colonists.

Timeline

52 Years before colonisation - Emperor Osmond of The Elgante Empire dies at age 43 from bad health. Emperor Welence, who was named successor, comes to power, aged 19.
51 Years Before colonisation
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:09:37 AM by Crossbow Joe »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
What can the colonists make, what do they have good supplies of, what are they much less well supplied with? Are powder weapons quite rare? What about armour? Does the island have any natural metal resources?
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:25:27 AM »
HMM... New Elgante is an Island far west of the Southern Realms. New Elgante has rich supply of the material used to make guns and that is why guns are very rare in the Southern Realms.

That might suggest that Markovis is from the Khergit Khanate.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:37:23 AM by Mark »
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Crossbow Joe

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:25:02 AM »
Quote from: "Jubal"
What can the colonists make, what do they have good supplies of, what are they much less well supplied with? Are powder weapons quite rare? What about armour? Does the island have any natural metal resources?
The colonists generally spend most of their resources on mass production of crossbows and swords. Gunpowder weapons are rare, usually only seen in the highest ranks of the empire armies. There is no way as of yet discovered to make gunpowder off of the resources the land has to offer, and that is why they are so rare since it all comes from the mainland. Armour is a fairly common thing to wear for the colonists, from light to heavy. Though heavy armour is phasing out. Plate armour is no longer fielded in the army.
The Island does have a natural metal resource, the tribe of snakes use it heavily for all their weaponry. The colonists do not really see the use of it, since iron seems to be just as good and cheaper.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 06:16:51 AM »
Darn it... that just blows my theory. :P

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Crossbow Joe

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »
Timeline added. It will be added to and changed. I still have 142 years to go :o but it should give people a good idea of why the colony was formed and a bit of background on the Empire

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
Thats good than.