Author Topic: Thoughts on the Britannia Campaign  (Read 5545 times)

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Thoughts on the Britannia Campaign
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:25:53 AM »
So just started a campaign as my Gaelic ancestors and, lo and behold, they suck.  

Does anyone have any ideas as to why we have nothing good.  I mean, English have their knights, which are ridiculously good when one considers that their knights are supposed to be their weakness.  :-/  

Scotland and Norway have their ridiculously good heavy infantry, Highland Nobles/Noble Swordsmen/Norse Axemen.  

Wales have Saethwyr, who once you get around the abnormally low damage rating, are still damned scary with AP, and those extremely nasty Rhyfelwyr, who I'm not even going to bother going into.

What does Ireland have?  Cavalry?  Nooo. Hobiguirs and Ridires are pretty horrible, unlike reality where Irish Hobelars were renowned across Europe.
Archers? Nooo.  But can't really complain there, Irish archers weren't all that great.
Infantry?  Ulster Swordsmen, Gallowglasses, Ceitherne, Muires?  Of them both Gallowglasses and Muires were quite renowned in reality, yet for some reason, with the possible exception of teh Gallowglasses who I've never really gotten to try, they are not very good.  Certainly none of those units can stand up to the units of the heavy infantry factions in the campaign.  Hell they can't hold their own against Morganwyg Spears or English Armoured Swordsmen.

So does anyone have any experience with the Irish?  Preferably a good one?  And for that matter what are everyone's favourite factions in this particular campaign?
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:37:58 AM »
Horde them? What are the prices? If they are small you can get lots of armies.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:38:48 AM »
Prices?

Gallowglasses: 410
Muires: 780
Ostmen: 340
Ulsters: 360

I forgot about the Ostmen when I was whinging before. :)  But they're also pretty bad.  

So these, cross-referenced with the Scottish equivalents.

Noble Swordsmen: 3 less attack and 1 less defence for a cost of 570 and double the men compared to Muires.
Highland Nobles: Can't really complain here. An upkeep of 490 in exchange for causing fear which the Gallowglass doesn't.  To tell you the truth I'd find either of them pretty terrifying but I can't really complain all that much here.  
Ostmen have slightly better armour than Scottish Highlanders which cost the same however the Highlanders cause fear which might be a fair advantage.  
I couldn't think of anything to compare with Ulster Swordsmen.  The closest would probably be Welsh Gwent Raiders I think.  Or Ulsters are quite a bit better than I thought in which case maybe something more like the Gallowglass or Highland Nobles.  

So what does everyone else think?
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:17:37 PM »
Yeah, that campaign is quite unbalanced...
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 01:25:14 AM »
The only reason I have M2TW is for the ancient eras mods that are coming out, good luck with your campaign!

M2TW must be the only TW game until now that I haven't liked. It's just like the ambiance of the game... it's so like dark and gloomy in comparison to RTW
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:25:29 AM by debux »
(\__/)

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:32:11 AM »
Silver Wolf, when you say unbalanced, what exactly do you mean by that?  What have your experiences been?

To Debux, I have to say I agreed with you at first, and I was also disappointed that the troops were all very similar, with Mailed Knights and Feudal Knights being the stand-bys of pretty much all the armies.  But once I got into it a bit, I found I really quite enjoyed some of the new features.  For instance the cutscenes for the Assassins and Spies were pretty entertaining, although I would have thought that the Assassin would have realised after the tenth time, check teh bloody room for rats before you set the snake down!  

Anyway, I don't suppose you tried any of the campaigns, and thanks for the luck, I need it at the moment. :)
(\__/)

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:08:22 PM »
Quote from: "debux"
it's so like dark and gloomy in comparison to RTW
Well it does take place in medieval times. ;) I still think it has a much lighter tone than the original MTW, which really caught the essence of "medieval" in it's music, I think.

I haven't played M2TW for a good while, but when I did I usually played the Stainless Steel mod, which greatly enhanced gameplay. And then there is Third Age, which is just beast.  B)

Anywho, I like the Welsh.  :towar:

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »
Is it better than Darthmod? It's that since that didn't get my attention, I supposed that I wouldn't be interested in general in any mod of the era.  Third Age looks pretty good, but for someone that would only play it to recreate the battle of Minas Tirith, I don't think it's worth to download such a biggie :P
(\__/)

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

comrade_general

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 11:25:45 PM »
Quote from: "debux"
Is it better than Darthmod?
I think so (it includes many Darthmod fixes anyway).

but for someone that would only play it to recreate the battle of Minas Tirith, I don't think it's worth to download such a biggie :P
You say that now, but I don't think you would be saying it if you gave it a shot.  ;)