Author Topic: A good mod to start playing RTW?  (Read 3839 times)

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
A good mod to start playing RTW?
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
So, anyho, it's not me :P . It's for a friend. After months of trying to convince him to play I finally got him to try it out and it turned out that he liked it. So I don't feel like the only RTW player in my country. How ever, I feel that one can only enjoy the whole RTW experience with mods... I have tried many, from RTR PE to EB to Sicilia to XGM, and have found many that I have spent a lot of hours. How ever, I don't know which one might be the best for someone that's just starting. I know that EB is brutal for a newcomer, but I have no clue what mod could be good too start the marvelous journey in thwe modding world of RTW.

Any suggestions?
I thought of RTR PE, but I came back to it the other day and turned away with disgust at the low amount of units and many other minor historical innacurracies that affect gameplay (the only way for Carthage to invade Rome is with Poeni Citizen Pikemen, which is soooo unrealistic and makes my eyes bleed as I do it).
XGM might be good too, but I can't stand many of the annoying scripts and gameplay things (playing with 1 or 2 HP doesn't find a good balance between infantry vs. cav or missles)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

comrade_general

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:45:52 PM »
You see the sig!?

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:54:08 PM »
Hmm what about Amazon Total War?  I found it a lot of fun, thanks to all the new units for the existing factions.  

Or not historical but Fourth Age.  That mod is epic.
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

comrade_general

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 03:06:54 AM »
As is LOTR-TW  ;)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:49:15 PM »
Let's cut to the chase, why haven't you introduced said person to Exilian yet? :P

More seriously, I'd suggest PI or Amazon as the obvious historical mods, followed by EB. Fantasy wise FATW is where it's at.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »
Quote from: "phoenixguard09"
Hmm what about Amazon Total War?  I found it a lot of fun, thanks to all the new units for the existing factions.  

Or not historical but Fourth Age.  That mod is epic.  
I had no idea that Amazon TW added more units to the other factions! I'm going to test it right away!

Fact is, he likes Roman era a lot. So fantasy might come later :P Gotta ask him anyways, he hasn't finished his first campaign anyways :D he tells me it's hard for him to remember to save

@Jubal, he's too lazy to check forums :P

@comrade_general I hadn't thought of your minimods :D Might be a good idea to start with those too
(\__/)

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D