Author Topic: Orcs & Humans  (Read 12404 times)

comrade_general

Orcs & Humans
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:57:20 AM »
From the original Blizzard Entertainment game:

In the Age of Chaos, two factions battled for dominance. The Kingdom of Azeroth was a prosperous one. The Humans who dwelled there turned the land into a paradise. The Knights of Stormwind, and the Clerics of Northshire Abbey, roamed far and wide serving the king's people with honor and justice. The well-trained armies of the King maintained a lasting peace for many generations. Then came the Orcish Hordes.

No one knew where these creatures came from, and none were prepared for the terror that they spawned. Their warriors wielded axe and spear with deadly proficiency, while others rode Darkwolves as black as the moonless night. Unimagined were the destructive powers of their evil magiks, derived from the fires of the underworld.

With an ingenious arsenal of weaponry and powerful magic, these two forces collide in a contest of cunning, intellect, and brute strength, with the victor claiming dominance over the whole of Azeroth. Welcome to the World of Warcraft.

Do not be taken in by that last sentence; this has nothing to do with World of Warcraft!

Mod information:

This is a project I have long sought to create - a recreation of the classic RTS game on the RTW engine. The original game is out of print, and is available at Abandonia if anyone is interested. I highly suggest you check it out if you've never played it.

I already have a fully functional campaign map, based on this one from the manual:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This map is a good example of the limited amount of information there is to be found in order to port the idea to RTW, so I've had to take some creative liberties here and there. But there are still only the two factions; Orcs and Humans (plus rebels of course).

The faction roster is *very* limited, indeed many of the original game's features are quite basic unsurprisingly, and I've aimed to reflect this with my RTW version by focusing more on the little details.

Just remember the goal in TWOH is not to build great empires, establish trade networks, or buy map information - it is to destroy the enemy! 8)

I will be showing more of what is to come soon. Some of it you've seen already (remember those meteors ;) ).

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Orcs & Humans
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 02:34:34 AM »
Interesting! I remember watching dumb folded as my brother would play Warcraft 2... since then I've vainly tried to get it.

Is this the next of your many solo mods? :P
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

comrade_general

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:25:37 AM »
Indeed it is, but I am receiving some invaluable help from SotK and a little from the Roma Vice guys.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:10:56 AM »
This looks interesting. Believe it or not, I've had similar ideas for M&B. Good luck !
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 04:12:21 PM »
I helped make things blow up!  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
That you did, Hasdrubal.  8)

comrade_general

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:03:09 PM »
A release should be coming very soon!

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »
Good news! Can we get some screenies ?  :P
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

comrade_general

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 06:57:01 PM »
Sure, anything specific you'd like to see? I'm not very good at getting a nice variety of quality shots.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »
Orcs!
A few pictures of the map would also be nice.

comrade_general

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 10:44:29 PM »
Have you seen the screenie thread yet?  ;)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 11:40:56 AM »
Oh, looks like I've missed it...

Cinuz

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39:27 PM »
Mmmh, very interesting!! Maybe you could remove the emissaries from the game: this way the player is not able to buy map info (so that he have to search for every city, making the game longer and adding more importance to spies and cavalry), nor to get a ceasefire from the other faction, wich would make the game more impegnative.:)

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 09:04:11 PM »
True! Never thought of that detail. Nice to see you here too, Cinuz ;)
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

comrade_general

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »
Yes it's great to see you've decided to join us!

Guess what? I've already removed diplomats! Great minds think alike. ;D