Author Topic: android app  (Read 9909 times)

hazzacanary

• View Profile
    • Awards
android app
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:25:26 AM »
I would love to make an exilian android app - a quick-link to the forums, possibly reformatted to fit on a mobile better. However, I am a complete coding noob, so I would love it if someone could help me a) learn javascript and the art of making apps, and b) help make an exilian app. As all the android sdk tools are free to download, we shouldnt have problems obtaining an sdk (although there are quite a few individual components to download and install!)

Cheers,
Hazza
I CAN HAZ CANARY!

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: android app
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:59:43 AM »
Greetings Hazza! Although I must say that your topic title suggested me that you were some kind of bot (we've gotten a few lately)

Sadly, I can't help you much here... I'm not very techy, but I believe there might be a few on the forums that might be able to say something
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »
An android app would be cool, though I don't know if SMF already has one, and since the forums are the heart of exilian, it would be the most useful. An android app for the site could be made though, but not right now, since I'm about to go into a hectic time in RL, and internet connectivity will be very limited.
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

hazzacanary

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 09:44:33 AM »
well i certaintly wasnt expecting it to be completed quickly. Its more like a personal project for me and al lthe other javascript noobs in the community to learn some javascript and work together make a basic app
I CAN HAZ CANARY!

hazzacanary

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »
any volunteers, before I get started on designing (not building) the UI?
I CAN HAZ CANARY!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
The essential question is what we want the app to do. The forums of the site run on Single Machines, as Marcus says, so that's a whole package which we haven't programmed ourselves and so might be hard to appify. There is a non-free app for SMF at the moment though:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=379720.0

Essentially if we made an Exilian app then its basis would need to be a free version of this, which we could then expand to allow browsing the front-end site as well.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

hazzacanary

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »
i think the first objective would be to get it to display a mobile versionof the forums
I CAN HAZ CANARY!

hazzacanary

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:33 PM »
sorry I meant to say Decide on the featurelist and get a storyboard made and GUI designed
I CAN HAZ CANARY!

comrade_general

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
Use the modify button ;)

Registered

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »
Any more news on this ? I know this is an old post , but the topic itself is interesting. It certainly looks like the idea got burnt somewhere.
If you guys are interested I would like to take the idea of native android app for exilian, if there are guys who would like take this further we can of course start a new thread .

Lets see :)

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 11:54:44 PM »
Welcome to Exilian, Registered. I wasn't a member when this thread started, but I think it's a pretty good bet that if work ever did start on an app, it only got as far as someone's hard drive. If you want to have a go now, I think we'd be interested, at least as an intellectual exercise. You might like to bear in mind that all the points from Jubal's post still apply. Also, I don't want to discourage you, but from my own experience I would say that the site runs quite adequately on a smartphone web browser, so I'm not sure that an app would have much take-up.

Mars

• Pope Forum Fixer I
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • The second best priest
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 09:24:25 PM »
The essential question is what we want the app to do. The forums of the site run on Single Machines, as Marcus says, so that's a whole package which we haven't programmed ourselves and so might be hard to appify. There is a non-free app for SMF at the moment though:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=379720.0

Essentially if we made an Exilian app then its basis would need to be a free version of this, which we could then expand to allow browsing the front-end site as well.
It would have to be a plugin like Tapatalk (which is how it operates).
ID#2 - May still be alive, but might just be busy or inactive.

Probably has the largest video game library of anyone here.