Author Topic: UK Riots 2011  (Read 1750 times)

Marcus

• Devourer of Souls
  • Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • I think, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
    • http://exilian.co.uk/
    • Awards
UK Riots 2011
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
So, looting, fires, half-bricks. Lovely stuff. Pity the riots are more about greed than police brutality, but I doubt they would have happened without something like Duggan's death as the catalyst. Will be interesting to see how the next couple of years go.

What's your thoughts on the riots?

Edit: Having read some opinion pieces from Al Jazeera, that didn't just do blanket condemnation of the riots, I can see that it's going to take more than water cannon and plastic bullets to stop this. This appears to be the build up of decades of armadillo the poor areas of London, Birmingham etc. have had to endure, and they've had enough.

Of course, I will openly say I have no idea what it is like to live in a situation like that, my opinions come from what I have read. I wonder if other cities will start rioting soon...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:35:56 PM by Marcus »
"So if you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste. Use all your well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste."

comrade_general

Re: UK Riots 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
Hm, sounds kind of like the Bell riots.

What's that? Never heard of the Bell riots? Maybe that's because they only happened in the Star Trek universe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: UK Riots 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
Looks like it's calmer now, but many unanswered questions. Police misjudged it, and big questions over community policing. Miliband is right to be pointing out the complexity of the issues though; a heavily materially driven society with problems in its social fabric is always going to find it difficult to deal with symptoms without addressing the huge array of causes. Partly poverty, partly mistrust of authority, partly genuine criminality, partly racial tensions, partly a society that sets a lot of store on material goods and nor much on being morally upright... the list goes on, but it's important we keep following it to wherever it leads.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...