Author Topic: The Star Trek Thread  (Read 27191 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: The Star Trek Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:20 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20002297

Only the second time five captains have been in the same place at once, apparently.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »
Oh my. Time has not been kind to the Captains. :P

But I've known this was happening for many months now. Nice to see it made headlines other than the nerdwebs. :)

comrade_general

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 04:44:48 PM »
Happy First Contact Day everyone! :)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
I can't decide if I love or hate Star Trek: Nemesis.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

comrade_general

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »
That is the question.

There are so many things I would change to make it fit with the rest of the series, but oh well. :(

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »
Now that I think of it, John Logan really screwed that one up.

These are the reasons why:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's an okay-ish movie, but a terrible series finale.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

comrade_general

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
All excellent and valid points.

I would have used Romulans, but the main psycho-antagonist would have been Sela, and the bad-turned-good who would have helped the Federation in the end would have been Tomalak, because that would have been an awesome turn for such a character.

Too many other things to list here

- BUT -

At the Troi's wedding we see Wesley in a Starfleet uniform when we know for a fact he didn't choose that route and went off with the Traveler. The only time we saw Wesley continuing in Starfleet was the episode Parallels in one of the alternate universe's that Worf passed through. So the conclusion that I'm sticking to is that the movie ST: Nemesis took place in that universe due to Wesley's appearance much like the new Trek's take place in an alternate universe created by Nero. :)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 05:46:38 PM »
At the Troi's wedding we see Wesley in a Starfleet uniform when we know for a fact he didn't choose that route and went off with the Traveler. The only time we saw Wesley continuing in Starfleet was the episode Parallels in one of the alternate universe's that Worf passed through. So the conclusion that I'm sticking to is that the movie ST: Nemesis took place in that universe due to Wesley's appearance much like the new Trek's take place in an alternate universe created by Nero. :)

I haven't noticed that actually.
Good point. :)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
The soundtrack is flawless, though.

And the effects are pretty neat.
Which is nice, since the effects in reboot movies (yuck) seem too theatrical and seriously overdone.

comrade_general

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 07:16:07 PM »
Did you also notice in the movies that every time Troi takes the helm they crash the ship? :P

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »
Nope, I didn't notice that. :P

I was really sad when Enterprise D went down. Enterprise E was cool, but the Galaxy class felt like home.

comrade_general

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
Amen to that brotha.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2014, 10:24:47 PM »
Putting aside the emotional attachment because of the whole series, maybe it's because of the interior.

The Galaxy class had comfortable, friendly interior, curved lines, lots of free space and felt like a "luxurious" ship.
The Sovereign class was dark and sort of crowded. It was a battleship, really. Both inside and out.

comrade_general

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2014, 10:58:39 PM »
Understandable why Starfleet went that route though, what with the Borg and the Dominion about. We just have to trust that they went back to carpeted exploration ships after all that.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2014, 11:08:25 PM »
Ugh, thinking about that... I hate carpets (dust dispensers feels like a more proper term).