Author Topic: GS&S: Intro and FAQs  (Read 31473 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
GS&S: Intro and FAQs
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:00:01 PM »

This will include basic info and frequently asked questions.

GENERAL INFORMATION

What is all this about, then?
Guns, Swords, and Steam is a setting I've been working on for a long time. Its primary manifestation is twofold; in an episodic story I've been writing about it, and as a set of tabletop dice-based RPG rules designed around the world. The basic theme is clockpunk, steampunk and gothic inspired; it's a world of vampires, steam tanks, and hardy footsoldiers slogging it out. There are plenty of twists, though; other magical creatures are included, and a magic system primarily based around illusions and mind tricks is also worth watching out for.

THE BACKGROUND

How does magic work in GS&S?
Essentially magic comes in two linked forms, illusion and summoning. Magic can't directly manipulate the physical world; it's essentially a form of communicating with the "astral" - a sort of secondary universe that brushes up close to our own and supplies a lot of the necessaries for conciousness. Summoning basically opens/finds a hole between the universes big enough for some raw conciousness to get through and imbue physical forms with a thinking mind for a time. Illusion uses the astral universe as a shortcut straight into someone else's (or lots of other people's) head or heads, allowing the manipulation of their thought processes.

Will there be technology X...?
- Airships?
> Certainly not common or in frequent use, but probable yes to occasional and somewhat dysfunctional ones being constructed.
- Cyborgs/Robots?
> Confirmed no.
- Hovercrafts?
> Probable no, though I can't say I've looked in every inventor's workshop to check!
- Rifles?
> Confirmed yes, though muskets are still far more common and rifles are hard to produce.
- Spaceships?
> Confirmed no.
- Steampunk body modifications?
> Maybe relatively low-tech ones, I can imagine some barber-surgeons might get fairly experimental at times - it'd certainly be a risky and unusual process.
- Steam-guns?
> Confirmed yes, but they're not nearly as efficient as a modern machine gun and are not seen on most battlefields - tactics still look more like those of the early C18th than the first world war.
- Steam tanks?
> Confirmed yes - they look very much like Da Vinci's tank design, and are known as "Trammechs".
- Submarines?
> Confirmed yes, but they're rare pieces of cutting edge technology. And may or may not run on pedal power.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:08:51 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: GS&S: Intro and FAQs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »
Check out some of the back issues CG. Jub's been writing a story in more-or-less monthly installments.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/A_Call_to_Arms/index/

Look forward to seeing some more GS&S stuff Jubal. :)
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
I'll migrate all the episodes over to here I think and have a big locked thread of 'em all, since CtA is effectively dormant. And I need to get round to posting the rules.

CG: Actually, they can do things pretty similar to Jedi mind tricks, yes.  :P
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 04:30:04 AM »
So, how common is this magic stuff exactly and how magical is it?
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
DRAGONS!

Well.. maybe not :P But dragons things can be awesome and there :)
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 02:01:01 PM »
Hovercraft and submarines? Two of the most ridiculous things in the world that fit steampunk quite well.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:30:14 PM »
It's already got subs, if you read the issues of A Call to Arms you'll find out a bit about it.

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 11:40:28 PM »
I'm in the process of reading, think I'm on 4 or 5 atm. Good to hear though :)
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »
Up to 6. It reminds me of the Gaunts Ghost books. We need to see more battles and stuff, like at the start. I enjoy reading it anyway.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »
I'll try and shift the rest onto Exilian. I consider it quite badly written compared to things I've spent a decent amount of time on, but glad you're enjoying it - let me know what you think of the world and setting in particular and do ask any questions that spring to mind.  :)

Magic - essentially this comes in two linked forms, illusion and summoning. So magic can't directly manipulate the physical world, it's essentially a form of communicating with the "astral" - a sort of secondary universe that brushes up close to our own and supplies a lot of the necessaries for conciousness. Summoning basically opens/finds a hole between the universes big enough for some raw conciousness to get through and imbue physical forms with a thinking mind for a time. Illusion uses the astral universe as a shortcut straight into someone else's (or lots of other people's) head or heads, allowing the manipulation of their thought processes.

Hovercraft are probably a no, submarine yes but exceptionally rare, a decent submarine would be considered cutting edge military/spy hardware.

Dragons... I'm saying nothing yet.  :P

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 08:20:06 AM »
When it's finished how will it work? Will you run it here, at the A Call to Arms site or create a new site for it?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 06:11:59 PM »
I dunno - the idea is that it'll be a ruleset such that anyone can run a campaign. Probably if I run a game I'm more likely to do a campaign IRL because I think I'm better at those than running them online which tends to be quite slow & open ended. I've got no specific plans as to games to run though.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
We need an Exilian IRL chat than, with multiple channels that we could use for different things. :)

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »
I dunno - the idea is that it'll be a ruleset such that anyone can run a campaign. Probably if I run a game I'm more likely to do a campaign IRL because I think I'm better at those than running them online which tends to be quite slow & open ended. I've got no specific plans as to games to run though.
We are still going to finish Axiosa though aren't we? :( ...eventually... maybe?