Author Topic: AOR System  (Read 10431 times)

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: AOR System
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »
That's sounds pretty good, but I'd rather limit their AoR recruitment, or maybe even take it out altogether. I don't think you want them to become vanilla's "Armoured Hoplites" (which are pretty much the same concept, but it was sooo easy to recruit them and spam them). But for rebels it sounds pretty swell.

And... are you really thinking of putting the cloth? It looks pretty bad-ass, but isn't it like ceremonial, or show-off?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Agamemnon

• Mr. American
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »
I never was fond of those cloths. :P

Also, I thought Armoured Hoplites were supposed to be the rank-and-file troops, and Spartans the elite? If they weren't, CA REALLY screwed up when they made regular Hoplites suck so much... And really, the Armoured Hoplites are the only ones that look like real Hoplites. :P

AoR, by the way, is complete.
And now may the Lord bless you, and may the Lord keep you, and may the Lord make His face to shine upon you, and may the Lord be gracious unto you and give you His peace. May the Lord give you the desires of your heart, today; may you, with the anointing of God, be able to accomplish the divine destiny He has for you and for every member of your family; may the adversary now be rebuked and bound in the authority of Jesus’ name and the power of the blood that he cannot touch you nor harm you, because it is the Lord who gives you the strength and the power to do His work by His will.

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »
Actually, it's pretty easy to notice that CA went for the "have ÜBER-ARMIES!!!1!" in RTW... you can't really use the units that were actually the rank-and-file troops of the time (noticed with the GCS hoplites, you can actually use them, but it's so much easier to win with armoured hoplites, nor is it much harder to recruit them, after all, you just need a minor city to fulfil the unit's prequisites), and it's so hard to control the recruitment of the elite troops of the time, so that they would only constitute a small part of the army, not the whole army (M2TW does it rather well, with the recruitment pools). And yeah, armoured hoplites do like the typical image we have of hoplites, but CA did a rather good job in representing the common hoplite with the vanilla hoplite (I'm really dubious on the helmet, but they didn't do a good job there either with the armoured hoplites :P )

Good news! +karma
(\__/)

Agamemnon

• Mr. American
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »
Meh, I don't really care about the historically accurate Greek armies of the time, and the Pharonic Egyptians didn't really bother me either. Now, the underhanded pike phalanx used by hoplites DID bother me, but that's because it doesn't look as epic. I just want epicness, I don't give a rip about historical accuracy unless making it more accurate makes it more fun.
And now may the Lord bless you, and may the Lord keep you, and may the Lord make His face to shine upon you, and may the Lord be gracious unto you and give you His peace. May the Lord give you the desires of your heart, today; may you, with the anointing of God, be able to accomplish the divine destiny He has for you and for every member of your family; may the adversary now be rebuked and bound in the authority of Jesus’ name and the power of the blood that he cannot touch you nor harm you, because it is the Lord who gives you the strength and the power to do His work by His will.

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »
Well... fun is kind of hard to define :P I must say that pharaonic Egypt didn't bother me much either at the beginning, what bothered me was it taking over half over the map with stupid autobalance (and fighting chariots, while it isn't really hard, it's a major pain in the ass, especially when it's so easily spammable as in vanilla)
(\__/)

Agamemnon

• Mr. American
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 05:06:28 AM »
What bothered me was that either Seleucids or Parthia would be gone by turn 20 ALWAYS. Usually both. And Pontus and Macedonia often were conquered too, which meant that an invasion of the east post-turn 100 was always fighting stack after stack of first Armenians (WTF?) and then Egyptians. Rome never meets the Seleucids or Parthia. And often Britannia conquers Gaul before Rome.

debux

Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 03:37:16 AM »
The few tricks I know to help counter this would be:

1.-Using the "hp_extra" entry in the EDU to make certain units more powerful in autobalance, therefore making their survivability more possible.
2.-Assigning good relations between certain factions from the start date, to avoid conflicts from the start of the game (not sure where to modify this though)
3.-Changing the faction behaviours to avoid certain factions from expanding too fast.
4.- Reducing the visibility between certain cities (of different factions) to avoid them attacking each other (although this can help a lot or very little, it depends on a lot of other factors, that have a higher priority to the AI.

Aside of that, I wouldn't be able to help much :/
(\__/)