Author Topic: Class 1: Introduction, Themes and Images  (Read 10065 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Class 1: Introduction, Themes and Images
« on: August 17, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
Okay, this is all meant to be in lecture format, but I'm a crap human being and haven't compiled the lecture yet. So you just get my badly written lecture notes and accompanying task, if that's okay, and then you can make a start on that during next week, and I'll start on real heavy-duty content when I get back.

So, introductory lecture notes and task:

World Building Intro – Lecture Notes

Why World Building is crucial
-   Helps differentiate a story or setting from others
-   Gives unique images and themes that make a game or book distinct in people’s heads
-   Can be a crucial feature in plotlines in itself
-   Ensures a world has internal consistency and continuity
-   The more depth and fascination people have in the world, the better their disbelief is suspended

Key Features
-   Physics
-   Biology
-   Settlement & Geography
-   Magic, technology
-   Culture, religion, mythos
-   Languages
-   History
-   Usually one of these is the driving or key world feature that is responsible for driving the depth of the setting. Steampunk settings are driven by the culture and look, Tolkien was a linguist, most other fantasy authors focus on magic and how it works as a central feature, science fiction settings may often have a key twist of physics or biology.
-   Phys & Bio generally more important for sci-fi, Language and History for fantasy, but the crossover is large and it is possible to conceive of any possible combinations.

Creating the Base (Task One)
-   The “base” is the key set of ideas and images that makes up the feel – not necessarily the salient points of a plot, but the resounding images – that make up a world. What do you want people to visualise and remember most?
-   Think innovative and be different. Much more so than with the plot, or specific mechanisms for anything, or characters, it is the base of feel that needs to differentiate your world from anyone else’s.
-   Picking a key feature or two with which to innovate is a good start – you could take a science fiction approach to biology but with a standard fantasy level of technology, or particularly pick out an unusual physics idea such as a world that doesn’t spin or has much higher/lower gravity than our own. Innovating doesn’t always mean you create anything per se, just that you combine it in new and interesting ways.

Some examples:
o   The Edge Chronicles – key image is basically the “we have pirate ships that fly”, with key features being biology (Beyond the Deepwoods can be summed up as “look at the cool freakin animals!”),  and culture (Academic-governed knight class, flying pirates). The physics & geography is unusual, but it’s not the salient point and isn’t what’s meant to capture your imagination – in fact the geography is all oddly simplified, history is minimal and language barely touched upon.
o   Middle Earth – an unusual example in many ways, in that the core of the base is actually linguistic (reflecting Tolkien’s own academic background). Magic is not a core element, nor is biology, and physics and so on are very similar to our own world. Leaving biology and physics (and to some extent even geography) in a familiar setting can be good in high fantasy to give the impression of a world that could in some ways have been our own in some older epoch. Language and history are where Tolkien goes into real flow and depth, particularly the former, but the history of places and locations is what gives Middle Earth its sense of the majestic and ancient and allows Tolkien in LOTR to frequently hint at a much grander past.
o   Inheritance (Eragon/Eldest/Et cetera) – focusses heavily (perhaps too heavily) on magic and culture, probably the two most difficult or at least over-done elements on my list. Immersing someone via the details of magic or particular aspects of myth and magical items is probably one of the most commonly attempted things in fantasy literature (and games even more so than literature). The reasons for this are varied; it allows authors to focus on what they see as the key elements of their story easily, and it means that the key points of depth are also the ones they want to highlight in the text. The downside is that using these as the focal point often ends up with the designer using a fairly historically and geographically bland setting which lacks the visible depth of a world focussing on language and history or the excitement of mentally exploring a world of strange creatures and unfamiliar places.
o   Star Wars – Culture is utterly key. Biology and physics are, interestingly, not; almost all the aliens are actually very humanoid, and all the planets visited allow fairly earth-like settings and scenes. The theme of the series is really a clash between the free and democratic culture of the noble jedi knights and rebels versus the authoritarian evil of the Empire. Core images include the regimented Imperial troops  making way for the imposing figure of Darth Vader, the hedonistic anarchy of Jabba’s palace, and the brave fighting over the rebel base at Hoth. All of these are effectively cultural comparisons.
o   Mortal engines - a more interesting way of focussing on technology levels as the key factor, by inventing/building an innovative technological idea ("traction cities") and using those to drive the setting. There's practically no history, language isn't mentioned, it's on earth and humans are more or less the only animals, but it succeeds very well in using technology as its key. This is partly because rather than the details or philosophy of a magic system the technology of Mortal Engines is physically so impressive and leaves an awe-inspiring mental image of the world, as well as being external to the characters.

Recommended reading for this is anything you like, just think about which features the author is emphasising and which they are simplifying in the setting. If you brainstorm ideas for task one, post them, throw them at each other as well as me, and hopefully once I get onto class 2 (which will be cartography, settlements and geography) we'll have some interesting themes floating around. I hope that things in later modules will catch your eye as well though, so there's no shame in not getting your base images wholly sorted yet or in revising them wholly later!
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Class 1: Introduction, Themes and Images
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »
A world where two worlds clash. The middle ground. Portals are everywhere in the two worlds but in the middle world there are only a few, these few are fought over with severity. The two outer worlds are more or less the same, same animals, same religions, same races. Almost everything is the same; but the middle world is very opposite. Different everything. But they both want the middle world to build and to expand their power. Magic in this world is very discrete and passed down by blood lines. A lot of people have it but don't know it. Some other magics are despised upon, and not only dark magics. 
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »
Jyggalag's Realm of Order
(To better understand the lore check the links in description)

- an Oblivion plane ruled by the daedric prince of order, Jyggalag.
- Jyggalag represents rigid, unnatural order.
- Knights of Order, mindless Daedric soldiers, resembling crystalline armored knights and priest of order are the most common beings found in this plane.
- mortals may also be found in this realm.

To enter the realm from Nirn one must find Jyggalag's shrine, present the needed offerings and follow further instructions from Jyggalag himself.
What this realm contains and what it looks like remains a mystery and/or cannot be confirmed as it was never officially documented or researched before. The reason for this is that it's new and probably still in formation. Jyggalag was freed from his curse of being Sheogorath (the Mad god) some time after the Oblivion crisis (which happened 200 years before the rise of Alduin and the civil war in the province of Skyrim).

The following part is taken from the notes of an imperial scribe:
... However, most who are aware of this realm's existence (Jyggalag's followers) describe it as a crystalline word. The landscape itself is described as snowy valley surrounded by tall mountain ranges, dominated by a huge city carved in the mountain. The dark blue skies are filled with magical forces which make the clouds form a vortex above the city. This makes the realm dark in general, but occasional ray of light might escape through this veil of darkness and lighten parts of this realm. (note that these information should be taken with a grain of salt, as they were obtained from a follower of a daedric god)
The follower stopped talking at this part and said that he is only a messenger. "The realm is in turmoil and my master is waiting for a champion.", were his words, I believe. Then he started his journey to the mountains.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:02:37 PM by Silver Wolf »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:35:42 PM »
I'm going to go with a mix of steampunk and fantasy, with key image being the structures left behind by the ancestors of the current inhabitants. An example is the "Skyway" - a huge bridge-like structure spanning much of the globe, allowing safe passage across the wild country beneath (The wilds will be full of strange creatures of some sort). There will be an oppressive government, with unrest building underneath.

There will be Magic, but it will be more in the form of technology than in the form of classical magic, with magical objects rather than spell casting etc. I also want to focus on the culture and history of the world, as left by the ancestors of the current inhabitants, via the architecture and the magic/technology used. I'm also going to try to do some... interesting geography, and perhaps physics too.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »
That one sounds really cool. Maybe they could travel on the back of some animals, the larger type.

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

comrade_general

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »
I need help. :P

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »
What do you need help with? Or is it something that only Jubal can help with?

comrade_general

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 11:37:05 PM »
I need help coming up with an idea. I'm not one of yous who already had an idea. :P

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »
Unsure whether I want to use Norbayne or go with something new altogether... Might go with Norbayne.

Key Features
-   Culture, religion, mythos
-   Languages
-   History

Magic, settlement and geography and biology would probably play major parts too.

Creating the Base (Task One)
-   The “base” is the key set of ideas and images that makes up the feel – not necessarily the salient points of a plot, but the resounding images – that make up a world. What do you want people to visualise and remember most?
-   Think innovative and be different. Much more so than with the plot, or specific mechanisms for anything, or characters, it is the base of feel that needs to differentiate your world from anyone else’s.
-   Picking a key feature or two with which to innovate is a good start – you could take a science fiction approach to biology but with a standard fantasy level of technology, or particularly pick out an unusual physics idea such as a world that doesn’t spin or has much higher/lower gravity than our own. Innovating doesn’t always mean you create anything per se, just that you combine it in new and interesting ways.

Well Norbayne itself is a heavily forested continent, so the deep woods should be a prevalent image. The other continents, not so much, but Norbayne itself would be the main story-telling area. Beyond that, the fear of the Eclipse, a weekly phenomenon during which all light fades and the blackpelts which are daemonic hunting dogs materialise on the surface and are drawn to sentient life. They are the servants of a particularly cruel daemonic lord, one who has a vendetta against mortals.

Norbayne has a varied mix of cultures, but several have been forced to amalgamate and work together, causing a fair bit of strife in communities with mixed heritage and therefore clashes in cultural behaviour. Racism is rife, particularly against peoples such as the Dunscarth (Drow-ish, sort of.)

Religion doesn't play quite as large a part. For the most part, gods as we know them don't exist. What does exist is a variety of daemons in the Otherworld, but they are far more like absent overlords than something to be worshipped. The Ilaena (Gnolls basically.) do worship what they call Flesh Render, a "Goddess," but if she does truly exist then she is a daemon.

The mythos will be fairly undefined, and most, if not all the races will have differing versions. In the tradition of all great mythologies, they are all true to a certain extent and detail, with varying accuracy, the beginning of life.

I have a fair bit of interest in linguistics and I have a working knowledge of Gaelic, Latin, Spanish, French and Sindarin. And English. I also have a little Polish and Greek but nothing to write home about. :P At any rate, the languages will probably be a large part of any stories I might write, especially when considering the discrimination that often comes into play with regards to oppressing languages (The English disallowing the speaking of Welsh comes to mind). I would like to show this, so languages will likely be quite prevalent. On the other hand, I'm not Tolkien, so writing my own languages might be tough. Chances are I'll do something similar to what Tolkien did, which is to translate the languages of Norbayne into a familiar equivalent.

The history of Norbayne is quite long and filled with interesting events, the fall of the Bovus Empire etc.  At any rate, the history of the world will play a major part in shaping the present. Ruins and ancient sites will be quite common, mainly from times before the blackpelts were unleashed.

As an honourary mention, one of Norbayne's major aims is to provide plausible evolutionary paths. Biology therefore would become quite important, even if it were only in the background.

Is any more information wanted/needed?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:07:25 AM by Phoenixguard09 »
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:14:23 AM »
I need help coming up with an idea. I'm not one of yous who already had an idea. :P
I didn't have any idea at all. I started at thinking about having more than one world and followed on from there. Maybe you could make a Sci-Fi world, just to be different. ;) Well, whatever floats your boat really. ;D

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 12:55:35 PM »
Excellent work so far guys!

CG: I'd just ignore task one for now; when we start getting information content up, see what takes your fancy from that. The more aspects of World Building one looks at, the more options you have for base ideas.

Othko: Sounds good, I like the Skyway idea.

PG: Good combinations; given one of your most key images is a deep forest, I'd say geography might want to be up in the Key Features list. That's just a passing thought though.

Khan: So I guess Geography will be a driving force. Do all the portals go from outer worlds to the central one, or do some go between outer worlds? What sort of technology level are you thinking, and are the outer worlds politically united?

(NB to Khan and, to an extent, Othko: an entire planet being united politically is a very, very odd think to concieve of historically and culturally, at least given human inhabitants, so the reasoning behind such a thing occurring should be thought out if you want that to be the case.)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
I hadn't thought of other nations. I think that the empire will cover most of the globe, as they have dominated all other countries due to a technological/magical advantage, with them being based around the original kingdoms of their ancestors.

Khan, with yours perhaps the different states could have perhaps united with the threat of a common enemy?
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 11:03:30 PM »
If you've got the skyway idea, I guess you could have the Imperial cities being fortress bastions with a small hinterland to provide food, based around technological or resource centres and with the skyway, guarded roads or some other such protected transport between them. That would allow potentially large but much lower technology tribes/groups outside the hinterland, covering quite a bit of map area but having little influence due to the large tech difference. Just a thought, feel free to use or ignore as you wish.

Phoenixguard09

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
  • Spiffy Haired One
  • Awards Awarded for outstanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 01:51:21 AM »
Thanks Jubal, happy to see you like it. As you can see, I considered Geography being a Key Feature so fair enough. ;)

Looking good so far guys. Just wondering CG, you're generally of a more sci-fi bent aren't you mate?

Cheers,
The Norbayne Campaign Instagram page. Give us a cheeky follow if you like. :)
By the power of Ga'haarr I command you to vanish! VANISH!
I CANNOT BE KILLED BUT WITH FIRE!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Crazier than a crack-head cat and here to make sticky treats out of your vital organs.

comrade_general

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 01:52:40 AM »
Perhaps slightly more so. The problem I have is that it seems like all the good ideas are already taken, y'know?