Author Topic: Funny Picture Thread  (Read 244178 times)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Funny Picture Thread
« Reply #540 on: November 08, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »
What is the etymology of Slav?

Skull

• Magister equitum
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • It is easier to criticize than to correct our past
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #541 on: November 08, 2012, 09:15:38 PM »
What is the etymology of Slav?
"Etymology of the word "Slavs" and its Slavonic form of "Slovene" is connected with the word "word" (slovo).Thus, Slovene - people who speak "words" (slova)."

Not a connection with the word "slave" at all,it's just something Hitler made up.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:17:56 PM by Skull »
Skull, the one of poor grammar, the enemy of all Grammar Nazi and destroyer of all linguistic reasoning!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #542 on: November 09, 2012, 12:20:15 AM »
In terms of the etymology question, I think the hypothesis is that the Greeks and western Europeans took a lot of slaves from the slavic regions, and thus the slavic word for themselves - as the people who speak words - was adopted by other countries as their word for a slave. I'm not a linguist so I'm not going to wade in on the truth of that, but again I genuinely think a lot of these things reflect worse on the perpetrators than the victims.

In theory it would be nice if there were no national stereotypes or prejudices, but I think that being able to be light-hearted in a fair way about neutral or positive stereotypes can help remove negative ones. If what you know about Russians is that they're tough, enjoy the cold, and drink a lot of alcohol, you're probably less likely to believe someone who comes up and tells you they're all autocratic and evil. It's much harder to hate the British as a people once you're resigned to the idea that we're a genteel nation of tea-drinking eccentrics whose main national pastime is mocking ourselves. Japan in World War Two was often thought of as an evil Imperialistic nation who savagely killed Chinese babies. Some Japanese soldiers did brutally kill Chinese babies of course, but that's not a reason for hating modern Japan - and we don't, they're now those cool asian geeks who made Pokemon as far as western culture is concerned. So yes, we shouldn't stereotype as all people are different, but sometimes in the short term positive or neutral stereotyping can strip away some of the negative mythos about a people or culture.

So basically, if it isn't obviously and directly pejorative or insulting we allow it under site rules. If anyone is feeling uncomfortable with something anyone's saying, contact a moderator or admin and they'll try and address your concerns or have a quiet word with the relevant poster.

OKAY

Random mumblings over. Sorry, that was probably a badly stated case, I'm massively sleep deprived and surprised I can even type properly.

BACK TO FUNNY PICTURES.

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Skull

• Magister equitum
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #543 on: November 09, 2012, 11:09:06 PM »
Well,I don't know what people think,Japan is the country of weird for me...  :)

This is something I took while testing:
Skull, the one of poor grammar, the enemy of all Grammar Nazi and destroyer of all linguistic reasoning!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #544 on: November 10, 2012, 12:44:37 AM »
I just can't get the staff these days it seems.  :-\
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #545 on: November 10, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »
Well, you still managed to kill one guy. :P

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: November 10, 2012, 08:23:56 PM »
I have a vague idea who that victim was.
Jubal ascended to heavens (and hence he disappeared from the battlefield ) in order to murder their god. And he succeeded.
Jubal's hordes, left leaderless,  gave up the fight not knowing about the epic battle that was happening in the other dimension.

My two Septims.

"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Skull

• Magister equitum
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #547 on: November 12, 2012, 09:26:07 PM »

debux

• RTW Modders and Tutorialists
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: November 13, 2012, 02:04:34 AM »
Hahahahahah! I'm wondering from what period that actually is... since massive pirating has turned into a serious problem mostly after the Cold War, didn't it?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

START ANSWERING PHOENIXGUARD! POST AS MUCH AS YE DID IN YE OLD DAYS :D

Skull

• Magister equitum
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #549 on: November 13, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
Hahahahahah! I'm wondering from what period that actually is... since massive pirating has turned into a serious problem mostly after the Cold War, didn't it?
Yep.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #550 on: November 13, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
Yeah, but given attitudes to communism in the US it seems they still haven't worked out that the cold war is over in some cases...

Ashanorath

• Wiseass
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • It is I, LeClerc!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #551 on: November 21, 2012, 05:49:25 AM »
He'd be better off carrying more ammunition, since it's not like guns get used up that much. :P
but it's faster to toss the weapon away when it's empty and take the other one than to reload and you never know when you're going to need spare parts.
It's better to live within your dreams then to live without them.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #552 on: December 02, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #553 on: December 13, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »

Gen_Glory

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #554 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:19 AM »
did you see the guy in the horse head costume?
Tis but a scratch...