Author Topic: preferences.txt ?  (Read 12296 times)

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
preferences.txt ?
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »
I'm trying to find the preferences text file to disable autosave. The only advice i could find by googling was that it's called preferences.txt , it's in the Rome Total War folder - i've tried looking and using the search function in the Rome Total War folder as a whole and the WHTW folder. I've played several campaigns but no preferences file. Can anyone help please?

p.s i'd let windows 7 choose the install folder and it chose Program Files (x86) - i know i'm really meant to install to C: but until the CTD's and reloading problem started i hadn't had any problems
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:36:18 AM by comrade_general »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: preferences.txt ? can't find it manually or by search in folder
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:29:46 AM »
It should be in WHTW/preferences/preferences.txt

Welcome to Exilian, do hang around, ask questions, give feedback etc.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: preferences.txt ?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:42:31 AM »
Thanks very much. That folder doesn't exist on my installation. No idea why. Maybe it's a Windows 7 thing? I don't understand why.

About the only thing i think the mod is missing other than the victory conditions and bugs you're already working on anyway would be some additional units - jezzails or warp fire throwers or grey seers for high level skaven cities, wardancers and wild riders and mages for high level wood elf ones etc. But i guessed you're probably already working on something like that with the new units you mentioned anyway.

comrade_general

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:00:54 AM »
You could try changing the auto-save to false in the preferences file from the main RTW preferences folder.

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:53:42 AM »
Preferences folder doesn't exist on my main RTW folder either - again, i don't know why. Maybe because i forgot to specify install to just C: and so Windows 7 installed RTW to C:/Programs (x86)? Not sure

Only folders in the RTW folder are 'data' , 'miles' and 'WHTW' and no preferences folder or preferences.txt file in any of them

comrade_general

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
That's odd.

Doomchild

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 02:01:54 AM »
Have you tried showing hidden files? Not sure if this'll help as i've never modded TW but i know when i was doing some stuff with Half-life, i had to do that to find the files i needed. I'm also running on windows 7. If you dont know how to show hidden files this is an easy way to do it http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-7/

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 02:57:29 AM »
did know how to do that but hadn't thought to try it till you said. Thanks for the suggestion Still no preferences folder or file unfortunately though.

Could it be that i t's because i installed the White Label version that's already patched to 1.5 ?