Author Topic: Where to start with the elder scrolls?  (Read 4994 times)

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Where to start with the elder scrolls?
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »
So I was thinking it may be worth buying one of these games to give the elder scrolls a bash. Would you Elder(ly) veterans recommend starting at the beginning (whatever that is?)

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Where to start with the elder scrolls?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »
Oblivion.
That's how I started.

Looks good, plays good and presents a lot of TES lore. Shivering Isles expansion has the best TES setting and characters so far, at least in my opinion. Be sure to get GOTY edition, as it contains the original game and both expansions for a lower price. Original game's setting is a bit generic, but that's because Cyrodiil (the main province, in which TES4 takes place) is a normal human land. But as I said, expansions will take you to some strangely wonderful places.
Two expansions, already mentioned Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine plus some DLC (included in GOTY version).
Oblivion intro
Shivering Isles expansion
GOTY edition trailer

Then Skyrim which plays even better, has the best combat system, wonderful immersive environments and takes place 200 years after the Oblivion crisis. Nords, snow, ancient tombs, mountain peaks, huge caverns and dragons. Has a small house DLC Heartfire, Dawnguard expansion (vampires) and Dragonborn expansion (available only for Xbox right now)
Skyrim trailer
Dawnguard expansion
Dragonborn expansion

Morrowind last. It has an unmatched setting, originality and story (happens around 7 years before Oblivion, irc). But it's slow and outdated and you won't get that much fun these days if you're not familiar with TES lore. If you are, it's a blast. A huge number of TES fans will say that this game is the best part of the series.
Also has GOTY edition which contains both expansions, Tribunal and Bloodmoon.
Morrowind trailer

It's also worth noting that all of these games have a huge modding community.
And Oblivion, in particular, has a huge total conversion named Nehrim, which takes place in a completely different universe.
Nehrim - At Fate's Edge
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:06:24 PM by Silver Wolf »
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 05:22:11 PM »
Does skyrim run ok on a lowish end laptop? Mine can't run the Witcher 2 properly even with the lowest graphic settings possible  :'( and I'd rather not buy a game I ca't play without much frustration due to laggy game play.

Doomchild

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:04:34 PM »
I would go for Morrowind, its the best one of the series, and should run fine

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
Does skyrim run ok on a lowish end laptop? Mine can't run the Witcher 2 properly even with the lowest graphic settings possible  :'( and I'd rather not buy a game I ca't play without much frustration due to laggy game play.

Try this:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

It runs fine on my laptop, which is not that great.
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Pentagathus

• King of the Wibulnibs
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 06:56:38 PM »
According to that site Skyrim and Oblivion won't run on my laptop but then it also says Gothic 3 won't and I know it does run fine (on lower graphic settings) so I might risk it. But I'll probably try Morrowind first, and before that I shall try to finish Baldurs Gate and the other old rpgs I bought recently.

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »
Yes, it also says that it can't run on my laptop and yet it works.

Morrowind would be a safe choice. But don't judge it by it's gameplay. As I said, it's pretty outdated when compared to Oblivion and Skyrim. Especially battles, which are pretty much static monotonous clicking determined by dice rolls in the background.

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:46:13 AM »
Mods, they make what Morrowind is today. With mods, the graphics are better than Oblivion some would say better than Skyrim, with mods, it has the largest landmass out of all three games (Not including Daggerfall or Arena because than that just wouldn't be true), with mods, Morrowind is the best, even sometimes without them.
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.

Gen_Glory

• Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
morrowind should work fine

or get Fallout 3!
Made by bethesda, plays like elder scrolls but with guns and a post apocalyptic setting
Tis but a scratch...