Author Topic: Buildings & Descriptions  (Read 9777 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Buildings & Descriptions
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:06:34 PM »
I've decided, given some recent trials and tribulations with Warhammer Total War's buildings, that I'd really rather do building descriptions the way we did the unit ones rather than via github.

The basic methodology is the same, except that to begin with I'm going to try to avoid too many new buildings. For each we need a short & long description and name. The long ones don't have to be too long as practically nobody reads long building descriptions anyway. Also, each building tree has its own name too.

The tree names usually include a description, so for example "Dwarf Halls - train dwarfen troops".

Right, so what we need, original building followed by what the new descriptions have to be);

- Core buildings (5 levels - maybe Master's lodge, etc etc, though that fits less well with the areas that aren't technically colleges. These are the governor's house etc that determine settlement size. Maybe butteries up to great halls as food => Size of place?)
- Walls (5 levels - but can probably use vanilla descriptions since a wall is still a wall)
- Barracks (5 levels College Buildings that will train college staff, porters, basic students)
- Sewers, baths (4 levels, sinks in rooms/showers/somethinglikethat)
- Roads (3 levels, Dirt/Gravel/Paved paths?)
- Stables (4 levels, train the arts students)
- Missiles (4 levels, train the science students)
- Market (5 levels, pidges and plodges)
- Port buildings (3 levels, punt yards and jetties etc)
- Farms (5 levels, college gardens)
- Blacksmith (3 levels, whatever might be a good weapon store)
- Academies (3 levels, college libraries seem a good bet)

STUDENT SOCIETIES (Aka Temples, only need 1 level each I think)
- Assassins' Guild, trains assassins (description done)
- Student Newspaper, trains spies (description done)
- Drinking Society, trains drunks (description done)

CUTT (Exarchate & Outlands) -> Larpwarriors, Orcs, ?Swogs?
CUSFS (Backs Alliance & Hill Conf.) -> CUSFSites, Jomsvikingr, when built on Castle Mound + Jomsberserkers and Jomsguard
CTS (Western & Republic) -> Tower Guard, Elfin Allies
Activist Society (Republic & Pact) -> Picket line, Rainbow Guard
CICCU (Entente & Outlands) -> Missionaries, Mission leaders
Student Theatre (Entente & Backs Alliance) -> Players, Techies

1x for Pact
1x for Exarchate
1x for Western
1x for Hill Colleges

In terms of theatres etc, those are less built in for the game so it's easier to mess around with them more, so feel free to throw together some descriptions for college bars and theatres etc and I'll chuck those in.

So yeah, that's a lot of work, but it's fairly necessary I'm afraid and working out the different building levels should hopefully be fun-ish. This is really the only other big job I need you guys to do, whilst I get the unit rosters built up and the loading screens done, which chews up time like nothing on earth.

Thankyou!  :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:51:45 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Buildings & Descriptions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
Done some.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 07:45:35 PM »
Nice! I'll catch up once I battle through deadlines and/or get back from the field trip

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »
Right, so I've been thinking.

Perhaps Acadamies should be libraries, perhaps: reading room -> small library -> large library (possibly better names, but I can't think of what to make them)

Blacksmiths could perhaps be maintaince? Maybe: handymans lodge -> maintaince team -> expert craftsmen

What do people think?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »
I like these ideas, yep :)

Ezrael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »
Those sound apt to me :)

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »
Would you mind posting an example of the syntax we need to use?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »
The same as the entries for units, except the internal names are set in a different file and are annoyingly sensitive. As long as the text (long descr, short descr, name) is there (same old story as for units) I'll deal with the internal names & syntax.  :)

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 03:06:55 AM »
Right well I'll attempt some of these, I hope it can fit into the code ok, if I can make it easier for the next few then let me know Jubal.

Anyway, here goes:

Reading Room long:
A reading room is simply a small room set aside for the future leaders, and anyone else, to study in. This has the effect of producing better educated individuals to lead, however they have to provide their own materials, limiting the effectivity of this.

Reading Room short:
Colleges with a reading room will tend to produce better leaders and cause the college to be better governed due to better educated individuals.

Small Library long:
A small library ususally consists of a few shelves of books essential to governance or command. This allows individuals within the college to study more. This tends to increase the intellecual quality of the student body, increasing the effectiveness of the college. However, it is limited by the lack of breadth among the resources.

Small Library short:
Colleges with a small library will produce more educated individuals, increasing the abilities of the students and the fellows.

Large Library long:
A large library is the pride of a colleges intellectual capability. It contains books on everything from military strategy and good governance to obscure authors writing in extinct languages. This tends to result in better leaders and far better governance.

Large Library short:
Colleges with a large library will prouce superbly educated individuals, resulting in exceptional governance and command.

Handymans Lodge long:
A handymans lodge allows the college to accomodate someone with basic skills in producing and maintaining light and heavy weaponry. This is a huge boon to the college as it allows them to produce more effective weaponry to increase their soldiers lethality in the field.

Handymans Lodge short:
Colleges with a handymans lodge will produce slightly more effective light and heavy weaponry for their soldiers.

Maintaince Team long:
A maintaince team adds to the skills of the handyman by upgrading armour and missile weapons. This is very useful as it increases the effectiveness of the colleges soldiers in the field by both increasing their lethality and providing greater protection from their foes.

Maintaince Team short:
Colleges with a maintance team will produce not only better light and heavy weaponry, but better missile weaponry and armour as well.

Expert Craftsmen long:
An expert craftsmen is the pride of a colleges arms industry. All armour and weaponry is now increased to another level, the greatest which can be achieved through craftsmen. This increases the effectively of all the colleges soldiers to a higher level.

Expert Craftsmen short:
Colleges with an expert craftsmen can produce weaponry and armour of exceptional quality, resulting in superbly equipped soldiers.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »
Added in  :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »
Okay, back on the job; student societies are the next priority here I think, I'm going to try and get the L3 units done soonish then probably some basic student soc units (drinking soc, and the student paper and assassin's guild will produce spies/assassins respectively).

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 06:37:15 PM »
Removed all the old temples, ready to put some new ones in now :)

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 09:21:07 PM »
Removed all the old temples, ready to put some new ones in now :)

Do we need to thrash out what each one does or are we already decided on that? Been so long I've forgotten where we got to!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »
I'm thinking everyone will be able to access:
Assassins' Guild -> Trains assassins
Newspaper -> Trains spies
Drinking Soc -> Impetuous drunkards

And then the rest will be somehow distributed, these I'm less sure on...
CUSFS -> Aliens? Possibly ability to call down hails of small bombs as missile strikes?
CTS -> Some sort of Gondorian soldier or Dwarf axeman maybe, heavy inf? Or elf archers?
QuizSoc -> Not sure
LARPers -> Some form of fantasy warriors
Not sure which other societies we need to include, this is obviously heavily biased towards the sci-fi and political socs since those are the ones I know about!

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »
I'm thinking everyone will be able to access:
Assassins' Guild -> Trains assassins
Newspaper -> Trains spies
Drinking Soc -> Impetuous drunkards

And then the rest will be somehow distributed, these I'm less sure on...
CUSFS -> Aliens? Possibly ability to call down hails of small bombs as missile strikes?
CTS -> Some sort of Gondorian soldier or Dwarf axeman maybe, heavy inf? Or elf archers?
QuizSoc -> Not sure
LARPers -> Some form of fantasy warriors
Not sure which other societies we need to include, this is obviously heavily biased towards the sci-fi and political socs since those are the ones I know about!

These sound good, hmm, quizsoc could be tricky... perhaps it could improve agents skills?(If that's possible!)