Author Topic: Unit Preview I: Staff/Misc  (Read 5424 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Unit Preview I: Staff/Misc
« on: April 08, 2013, 06:33:45 PM »
UNIT PREVIEW: STAFF & MISC

I'm going to do three big unit previews to show everyone how far we've got - one for Arts, one for Sciences, and this one for the college staff units.  :)

Porters (Shown here with Exarchate Captain)
Before the war the porters looked after the colleges. Security, discipline, nothing was beyond them. Now they form elite infantrymen and guard their leaders with their lives. They have kept their official uniforms, suits and wide-brimmed hats, but now carry square-bladed glaives to slice through those rowdy students!

Bedders
Bedders are the long suffering domestic staff of the colleges. In peace time it was their responsibility to keep the students rooms in some semblance of normality. With the outbreak of war they have banded together to form medium infantry armed with axes and shields. They are useful for holding a line whilst heavier troops come up to finish off the enemy.

Caterers
The catering staff were originally seconded by the new military authorities to ensure that the soldiers were properly fed out in the field. However, during battle they begin to feel like they could be put to better use, and successfully petitioned their superiors to allow them to take to the field. They have formed units of foot archers and have the handy effect of boosting the morale of nearby allies as they don’t want to have to cook their own food!

Gardeners
Gardeners are another group of college staff members drafted into combat roles by the new authorities. However, they have teamed up with a small group of engineers to become chariot units. These chariots have scythes attached to the wheels and each one contains three gardeners, each of whom is armed with a spade. These are very effective at destroying enemy formations, however they are vulnerable if forced to stop, or if they are driven berserk they may harm allied forces.

The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Unit Preview I: Staff/Misc
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »
Looking good! Will all factions have the same colour units?

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 06:46:36 PM »
Yes, for two key reasons:

1) Doing eight times the work on skins would flatten the viability of this project
2) For most of them they're not wearing many things that would be greatly amenable to faction colouration anyway

There will however be more area-specific units added as time goes on, and the generals and captains are unique to factions, so each faction's forces should eventually end up looking quite different in troop selection even if similar units on either side have the same skins.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

TTG4

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Plants are my passion!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 06:51:17 PM »
Makes sense, looking good!

Ezrael

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:13:25 PM »
SO much respect for you right now

Scarlet

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »
Impressive :)
like a bruise that would never go away, but she would cherish it for ever.

gellthîr i melethron nîn

nínim in menil

nickwizzo

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »
Amazing! :D

comrade_general

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 12:31:44 AM »
Egyptian archers ftw. ;)