Author Topic: Warhammer: Total War - A Call To Arms Release!  (Read 158996 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Warhammer: Total War - A Call To Arms Release!
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »

"This is an age of darkness.
This is a dark age, a bloody age; an age of Daemons and sorcery, of battle and death until the world's ending.
These are the End Times."

This is Total War.

Here it is then! Only a few months late, which isn't bad by my (rather low) standards! A Call To Arms, complete with more features and units than I ever remotely imagined we'd pack into it, all ready and bundled up for you to play. I can categorically say that there will not, under any conceivable circumstances, be another major version of WHTW; this is it! I mean, for one thing, we literally can't fit any more units in without the game crashing. That in itself shows just how packed full of stuff this mod is even without reading the absolutely massive feature list below, and I really hope you all enjoy it.

A Call To Arms includes particularly large changes to the Skaven, Beastman, and Lizardmen factions, but every faction in the game has at least one new unit, so whoever you're playing as there'll be plenty to explore! The user interface upgrade has been one of the biggest and most time consuming pieces of work, with a full set of unit cards and a more Warhammer-style feel given to all the menu. There are new provinces on the campaign map, and slightly more built-up starting positions with starting garrisons too; many bugs with buildings have been fixed to give a far more stable gameplay experience.

It's been over half a decade since I started working on Warhammer: Total War - over a quarter of my life - and so finally in this brief ramble I'd like to give a final round of thanks to everyone who helped along the way and to all of you, dear readers, for wanting this mod and making the frustrations of bending the Rome: Total War engine to my will so much more worthwhile. Comrade_General deserves a specific mention for putting up with ludicrous numbers of skinning requests over the years, but for all the people who've worked on this, from Zodiac Productions onwards, today is the day when it finally comes to fruition.

Thanks, enjoy the mod, let us know how you do, and do post AARs and suchlike - it's great hearing about people having fun with the mod!

~ JB

Download links
http://www.2shared.com/file/5YYFHQKN/WHTW.html
http://www.moddb.com/mods/warhammer-total-war/downloads/warhammer-total-war-a-call-to-arms

Install Instructions
NB These are all also included in the readme bundled with the game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Features List
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Screenshots

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:24:15 PM by Jubal »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

Re: Warhammer: Total War - A Call To Arms Release!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »
HAROOH!! ;D

Cornholio

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 11:49:32 PM »
\o/

Grey_Seer76

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 04:01:03 PM »
Hi, really excited by new mod but my chaos battles keep crashing and I have no option to save the game help please!

Catalin

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »
Hi everybody!
Great mod Jubal! Congrats to u and all yr team!

Before the release, I saw a post where somebody in the test team wondered why characters gained many traits and ancilliaries.
From what I discovered in the data files, this is partially 'cause some triggers were left "orphaned" after removing temples or other conditions.
Examples: brilliant_inventor - normally had a condition to be gained when a temple of forge is in place - now that temple does not exists, the condition was removed and u gain that ancillary for just sitting in a town.
Also, the first three luxurious lifestyle triggers do not have the treasury amount condition anymore, so u gain this bad traits just by sitting in the town.

Hope this is usefull to u and maybe u do this adjustements in the next (minor) patch.

Catalin.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 04:46:29 PM »
Grey Seer: Have you tried simply closing and re-opening the game to see if the buttons work again? We think the greyed out save buttons happen when you start a new campaign but the old campaign's campaign script is still running.

Catalin: That makes a lot of sense, thankyou; useful feedback.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

CelticMarauder

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 03:46:42 AM »
I'm having a lot of fun so far. The world seems more alive than previous versions of this mod.  There are a couple of minor bugs that I've run into, though. For the Beastmen, both the general unit and regular unit of bestigors have the "general_unit" attribute, so recruiting bestigors in the campaign trains generals rather than the standard bestigor unit. For Chaos (and I'm assuming Beastmen since they both have chaos temples) the Temple of Nurgle skips the upgrade at the large town level, instead having the second and third level of the building at the city level and impossible to reach large city level. I was able to fix these things easily enough, but I just thought I'd let you know in case you were considering any sort of minor patch.

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
Hurray - great work!

Grey Seer wrote
Hi, really excited by new mod but my chaos battles keep crashing and I have no option to save the game help please!

I also found a weird bug playing the play-test version when playing Wood Elves where sometimes i couldn't save a campaign game (save game button greyed out). Can't remember if just exiting the game and reloading worked or if i had to start a new campaign - check early on in your campaign if you can save anyway and quit and start a new campaign if it comes up.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:16:28 PM by Dunadd »

Warhammer78

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Congratulations on the new version!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:06:09 PM by Warhammer78 »

Cornholio

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »
Corsairs have the same stats as the Dark Elf Spears, down to the "effective against cavalry" boon. Corsairs don't have "fast run speed". If corsairs were some kind of light skirmishers or something it'd balance out the Dark Elf early roster better. I assume. Unless there's something I'm missing.
Jubal, I have also noticed this discrepancy! it makes corsairs pointless to use as spearmen are just better :(
surely the corsairs should be fast moving and lose the "effective against cavalry", as well as lose some defence and gain some attack (they have no shield and are less armoured than spearmen)?!
This would make the darkelf army much more dynamic, as currently our light infantry are just our spearmen in disguise, who somehow cant run as fast even though they carry less D:
no other complaints though, i love my crossbows and the campaign runs even smoother than vanilla, because of the new interface i think - having loads of fun! :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »
Noted on the corsairs. It will be some time before I manage to get a patch out and released, if I get round to it, but if anyone else wants to do some tweaking and post unofficial patches we'll fully support that. :)

comrade_general

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
Joob! You did not tell me: http://www.pcgamesn.com/warhammer-total-war-mod-finally-reaches-end-times-after-half-decades-work :)

edit: Guess I didn't log in to facebook. :P
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:58:08 PM by comrade_general »

Silver Wolf

• Megas Domestikos
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
Anyway, job's a good one.

That applies to you too CG. ;D
"Less of a young professional - more of an ancient amateur. But frankly, I'm an absolute dream."

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »
Hi everybody!
Great mod Jubal! Congrats to u and all yr team!

Before the release, I saw a post where somebody in the test team wondered why characters gained many traits and ancilliaries.
From what I discovered in the data files, this is partially 'cause some triggers were left "orphaned" after removing temples or other conditions.
Examples: brilliant_inventor - normally had a condition to be gained when a temple of forge is in place - now that temple does not exists, the condition was removed and u gain that ancillary for just sitting in a town.
Also, the first three luxurious lifestyle triggers do not have the treasury amount condition anymore, so u gain this bad traits just by sitting in the town.

Hope this is usefull to u and maybe u do this adjustements in the next (minor) patch.

Catalin.

That explains why all my governors lost all their influence

Dunadd

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 01:29:45 AM »
Catalin - what's the name of the file that you need to edit to remove "orphaned" negative traits? And how do you add conditions for them in that file?