Author Topic: Editing Effects/Anims Sounds in Rome Total War  (Read 3129 times)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Editing Effects/Anims Sounds in Rome Total War
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:12:39 PM »
Okay, a few pointers here, from my experiences editing descr_sounds_units_anims:

- New sounds need to be 8-bit WAV format, anything else makes the game crash
- When inputting them into the file, you need the full filename including the .wav ending
- As far as I can tell, it's more or less impossible to remove the "chattering effect" - any sound you put in will be stretched, and will sometimes be played slow, sometimes fast, over the top of one another etc. Even if you only put one sound clip in.
- Thus it's possible to add music or whatever instead of voices, but pick a really short clip that can be played over itself without too much bother.

So an entry looks like this:
event DRUID_CHANT mindist 1 volume 0 minPitch 1 maxPitch 1 randomdelay 1 rndvolume -15 priority 100 probability 0.1 probradius 0
folder Cambridge/data/sounds/Voice/Human/Generic
epic2.wav
end
The event is hardcoded, the attributes:
mindist no idea
volume is the basic volume, lower = quieter, most seem to be about -20 so 0 may be about the loudest?
minPitch and maxPitch I think may determine how much skew you can get on the sound, though I may be wrong.
randomdelay - having this low seems to increase the buzz/chatter effect, at 0 it's pretty much a buzz, at 1 there's chatter but it's not so rapidly repeating
rndvolume no idea
priority no idea
probability Seems to be the probability of an individual member of the unit starting to make a noise?
probradius Unsure, though if you're too far away from the unit you won't hear the noise regardless, so I think once you're within that radius the probability of hearing an individual increases (such that with a piece of music, if you're just on the boundary of the radius you're most likely to hear one person in the unit playing the tune without interruption).

Ta-da, a brief and useless tutorial.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Cuddly Khan

• Silhouette in Disguise
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
  • PURGE THE BOTS!!
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Editing Effects/Anims Sounds in Rome Total War
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:54:11 AM »
Could the rndvolume mean Randomvolume and be like the minpitch and maxpitch except with volume instead?
Most effective elected official. Ever. (not counting Jubal)

He is Jubal the modder, Jubal the wayfarer, Jubal the admin. And he has come to me now, at the turning of the tide.