Author Topic: A Democratic Sort of Strategy AAR (New Chapter Up)  (Read 9042 times)

Paramythion

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: A Democratic Sort of Strategy AAR (New Chapter Up)
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 06:10:42 AM »
Yay, people liked it!
It was a bit of an intro, the gameplay will be coming up in the next chapter, along with plenty more story.

Rob: Never fear, the screenshots will be a lot nicer next time.  ;) I misread the info for the image-hosting website I was using, and thought they allowed editing after upload. Clearly however, they do not. Next time I will be less lazy, and do it before uploading.  ;D

Khan: Do it! I am of the opinion that Exilian (or, for that matter, any forum) could use a lot more writing of any sort. And AOE2 is quite easy to use for it too. I spend around half my childhood telling stories with that scenario editor. :)

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
I am also very pro more writing.  :)
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Paramythion

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 05:11:00 AM »
Apologies for the lack of an update, all you Exilianses. Thanksgiving break has not been much of a break at all, as far as getting away from work goes. I should have another update up fairly soon though, so you needn't give up hope.  ;D

Skull

• Magister equitum
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • It is easier to criticize than to correct our past
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Upcoming Strategy AAR (Input and Suggestions Welcome)
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »
I think the only time it's really worth doing so is if the term perpetuates a racist or ethnographic stereotype, or is otherwise likely to severely hinder people's understanding of the topic. "Byzantine Empire" fits neither of those categories and is moderately well defined.
Um...are you sure that Wolf,and the West in general,didn't have anything against Byzantium? If I recall correctly,there were quite a few reasons for them to hate Byzantium,and for Byzantium to hate them...
Skull, the one of poor grammar, the enemy of all Grammar Nazi and destroyer of all linguistic reasoning!

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »
Yeah, of course they hated one another for numerous reasons; the point I'm making is that "Byzantine" is not generally understood by scholars as a pejorative or negative term; there are problems with some people's understanding of the Empire, but I'm entirely happy that those problems are not caused by or linked to its name.

What would you prefer we call it, out of interest? Calling them Romans (as they called themselves) would seem more confusing to me as the Byzantine Empire basically never controlled Rome and was culturally really very different to what most people perceive as the main Roman Empire.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...