Author Topic: Announcement/Discussion: Faction List  (Read 27693 times)

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Announcement/Discussion: Faction List
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »
This is tricky, perhaps further research should be done to see if other mods have attempted this and see how successful they were or if they fell flat and perhaps learn from them.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »
Have any of you played The Iberian Conflict (TIC)? It was a heavily scripted campaign taking you on the journey of Hamilcar Barca. Every few turns there would be a scripted event or battle that you'd need to accomplish before moving on. We could do that. Also the first turn on the RTRVII grand campaign has two scripted battles. We would just need to know the order of events for the game.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
I never played any mod that simulated the Celtic invasions of Thrace and Macedonia.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
There is none. Only a few that start off on the eve of the invasion. TO do this we would need someone experienced in scripting.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 07:03:54 PM »
I guess we would need someone VERY good at scripting to fit this all in. But if we achieve it, it would be a lot of fun and make our mod unique over all the others.
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »
The name HouseofHam comes to mind but I'm not sure how willing he would be.

The Sloth

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 03:26:54 PM »
As for the divided Macedonia, wouldn't it be better if the player controls Antigonos Gonatas, like on RTR VII, instead of Ptolemy Keraunos? Since he died very shortly after and having a Pseudo- Ptolemaic or Sosthenian dynasty in Macedon instead of the Antigonid dynasty would be a tad strange  :P

This. It means that Macedon will start with only its holdings in Greece, with Macedon controled by rebels (?) under Keraunios. The celts will probably belong to the Free Celts faction. This means that they need a settlement in the area under their control (Bylazora/Tylis?), or else they will just wander back to their nearest settlement. If we're lucky, they'll stay in the area and wreck havoc. If not, they will look for easier pickings, and probably attack Illyria or Dacia. It's worth a try.

And I don't see how scripting would help us out here. Can you make an army move the way you want via scripting? If not, Thermopylae and Delphi would better be represented as historical battles.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »
This. It means that Macedon will start with only its holdings in Greece, with Macedon controled by rebels (?) under Keraunios. The celts will probably belong to the Free Celts faction. This means that they need a settlement in the area under their control (Bylazora/Tylis?), or else they will just wander back to their nearest settlement. If we're lucky, they'll stay in the area and wreck havoc. If not, they will look for easier pickings, and probably attack Illyria or Dacia. It's worth a try.
I agree. Maybe we can give Macedonia to the Ptolemies, since, after all, Ptolemy Keraunos probably had the support of the Ptolemeic ruling family.

And I don't see how scripting would help us out here. Can you make an army move the way you want via scripting? If not, Thermopylae and Delphi would better be represented as historical battles.
You can't make an army move the way you want via script, however, you can spawn an army anywhere you want and make it attack a particular settlement.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:57:03 PM by Bercor »

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 03:49:44 PM »
I don't think giving Macedon to the Ptolemies would be a good idea, since it might mess the campaign up too much. Also I'm not sure about the Ptolemaic support since he was more or less kicked out of Egypt and was forbidden to come back.

RTR VII had them as rebels, which is a good way to portray their ''interim''- status. On the other hand, obviously it was a Macedonian kingdom at this time and nothing else, so perhaps they could be part of the Hellenic states? The obvious disadvantage this brings is, that Antigonos Gonatas would start at war with Epiros, Bactria, Cyrene and Pergamon as well. Epiros would be realistic, Pergamon is only one town and Bactria as well as Kyrene are abroad so it's not too bad. Maybe we can make a script that they conclude peace between each other (Antigonids and hellenic kingdoms) after Gonatas captures Pella?

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »
Ups, my bad then. I assumed, seeing as they were family, the Ptolemaics of Egypt supported Ptolemy Keraunos in Macedonia.
Your suggestion seems good.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 04:13:48 PM »
Ups, my bad then. I assumed, seeing as they were family, the Ptolemaics of Egypt supported Ptolemy Keraunos in Macedonia.
Your suggestion seems good.

A general note on the Diadochs: Never trust your family  ;D The Attalids of Pergamon stand out as the only ones who didn't constantly betray each other.

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 04:25:59 PM »
;D

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »
 ;D Also I must praise your work on the unit cards. When you talk about that I have little idea, what you mean, but they look splendid  ;) We'll need new ones after this Beta for all the new units, though  :D

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, I look forward to have amazing new units, from which I can make my marvellous UI's

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2014, 05:49:34 AM »
You can move an army via script.. Play TIC lol.
We could always give the 'Macedonians' to the Independent Peoples as well.