Author Topic: Announcement/Discussion: Faction List  (Read 27702 times)

Alavaria

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Announcement/Discussion: Faction List
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2014, 02:51:41 AM »
It's like that discussion about "did thousands of people really wear elaborate bronze cuirasses".

Rome Total Coolism

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
Hah, indeed. So Germanic tribes should do? I've also read authors, even in English (like Peter Heather) calling them Germani, if we want a more ''immersive'' name. Otherwise, Germanic tribes or peoples.
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
Germani is simple the latin correspondent of Germans. We could call then Germanorum Tribus (which roughly means German Tribes), if we choose the latin nomenclature, but then we should use it for all the barbarians.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2014, 06:43:47 PM »
Germanic Tribes is perfectly fine.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »
Yeah I know it's Latin. Germanorum Tribus would mean''Tribe of the Germans'' though  ;D I would also say Germanic tribes is good enough.

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »
It would, if tribus was of the 2nd declination. However, it's tribus, tribus, thus 4th declination, and not tribus, tribe. So, the correct form is actually Germanorum Tribus "Tribes of the Germans". ;D

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
Okay, but it must be pronounced tribūs then! haha Nevermind, I guess we should stick with Germanic tribes, otherwise the other Barbarian names will be similarly confusing. As we are speaking about languages already, are we going to stick with Latin names for all cities, like the current map has?

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »
I don't know, but there's some settlements we only know the latin/greek name and other's that would be really complicated in their native tongue, so, I guess we should continue the path we're taking...

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2014, 11:11:57 PM »
That's true. I was more hinting in the direction of Greek settlements, like all the Eastern Mediterrenean world could have Greek names and the Western could have Latin names (but I feel like having posted this before right now). Also, for some other peoples like Carthage or Armenia we do know the names of most of their settlements, too. Obviously this would not be possible for Germanic towns, e.g., to find Latin names alone for them seems like a Sisyphos work.

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2014, 11:18:46 PM »
Greek Mithology casual references? Me like it ;D.

Get me the Eastern Mediterrenean settlements greek names and I'll make sure they're in-game. I also agree, well-known settlements can have their names in their native tongue.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »
Oh.. ah yes sorry it's a normal saying in German  ;D

Yeah most things are easy, it's just stuff like ''Halikarnassos'' instead of ''Halicarnassus'' or ''Pergamon'' instead of ''Pergamum''. I realise English usually favours the Latin names, but since the Greek ones are quite similar I think we can do this without causing too manny problems for the sake of realism.

Good then, although we might discuss the fact about well- known settlements again. The thing with them is, that every language has an own name for them to make them sound smoother in everyone's own tongue. Like:

Rome (English)- Rom (German)- Roma (Latin)

Athens- Athen- Athenai (Greek)

Syracuse- Syrakus- Syrakousai

Carthage- Karthago- Carthago (Latin)- Karchedon (Greek)- Qart Hadasht (Phoenician)

I think especially the last two names highlight the problem, that otherwise well- known names might irritate the player. Accessibility vs. Realism.

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »
Don't worry about that. Let's stick with mainly Latin and Greek names, while some major settlements can use their own language. Take EB as an example, they have semi-unpronounceable names for both units and settlements, and look how well it went for them. Surely, if we don't venture that far, will be good :D.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2014, 11:48:10 PM »
I was never convinced by EB, but it also crashed all the time in difference to RTR so maybe that was a reason, too  ;D

We should compel a list for all settlements soon then.

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2014, 05:57:35 AM »
Meh I am not a fan of Greek names.. I'd rather just have Athens. Can you imagine Jack on his next Let's Play trying to pronounce everything? It would be hilarious and entertaining, but it would be frustrating to play with. What's so wrong with Athens, Rome, Carthage? All the other mods give native, latin, and Greek names. I think we should be different and give the easy to say, most recognizable names. I know I am the leader, but if you guys really feel strongly about this I don't mind doing it. I'm just giving my opinion.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2014, 10:25:04 AM »
Well, the vast majority of people aren't youtube commentators, so I can't see how it would be frustating for them, since they would not be prounouncing it. Also, most greek and latin names aren't really that difficult, most european languages are heavily influenced by them, anyway. Athens - Athenai, Rome - Roma, Carthage is a bit more tricky, sure, Qart - Hadast, but not too much. The problem is that we, currently, have a lot of English names, a lot of Latin names and some Greek ones, we should thrive for uniformity. And I reckon they would be a nice touch.