Author Topic: Discussion: The Map  (Read 30148 times)

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Discussion: The Map
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
We should also revise the quality (as Sloth said)/ wealthiness of all cities in detail again later on. I'm convinced we should have a densely populated Greece for example, but regions like Aitolia, Epiros, Lakonia or Thessalia should at best be mediocre in terms of the income they provide.
''I found a city of bricks and left a city of marble''

Augustus

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2014, 04:25:39 PM »
Of course.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2014, 06:36:40 PM »
I am glad you joined sloth, you make great points. Yes, I remember the Black Death, and it's something I'd like to avoid. But there are options to limit population growth and income. This game needs to be a slower more strategic game. Not a game where one can blitz and rule the world in fifty turns. As far as sieges, it will take testing, but if we could find someone who is good at settlement plans we could have a unique set up for a majority of the cities that way each siege would feel different.
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

b257

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
Extended cultures is a good example of of a mod that makes you plan things out, I mean, if your inexperienced that mod will just make you throw your tower at the monitor. I remember having to pick my generals/governors very carefully and make sure they were properly educated in governing, the economics of that mod are also quite challenging. Maybe we can do something similar to them except a little more Low-Alcohol if you know what I mean. I mean heck they have a bunch of interesting features, Greek Colonies, Mercenary Camps for Carthage.

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2014, 07:55:59 PM »
I am looking to pull a lot of ideas from XC :)
God, Family, Baseball, Friends, Rome Total War, and Exilian. What more could I possibly need?

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »
That sounds good there  :) I guess if we restrict population growth, that might also solve the squalor problem? If there isn't already another solution, that is.

As for the city models, as I said I could probably get a load of plans, but obviously we also need someone who can mod that into the game.

Augustus

Fëanáro

• RTR Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »
We should also revise the quality (as Sloth said)/ wealthiness of all cities in detail again later on. I'm convinced we should have a densely populated Greece for example, but regions like Aitolia, Epiros, Lakonia or Thessalia should at best be mediocre in terms of the income they provide.

Well, Thessalia is actually one of the most fertile places in Greece. Epeiros has always had an economy based on animal husbandry (It is the rockiest place in Greece after all). Lakonia isn't as craggy as the rest of Greece, so it should have a decent agricultural income.

Maybe the areas in Attika should get most of their wealth by trade?

As for the city models, as I said I could probably get a load of plans, but obviously we also need someone who can mod that into the game.

Sadly, there aren't many who can make custom settlements for Rome. I know of Jarlaxe, who has worked on Fourth Age and Hegemony, but nobody else.

Bercor

• Citizens
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
Jarlaxe said maybe he would help us after he is done with his work on Fourth Age. I know that it can take a long time, but, a man can hope...

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »
That'd be good.

@ Feanaro Aye we have to split this into mines, agriculture, trade etc. But if we are getting a new map for the final version anyway, it's a bit early to discuss this now.

Augustus

Fëanáro

• RTR Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2014, 04:35:38 PM »
That'd be good.

@ Feanaro Aye we have to split this into mines, agriculture, trade etc. But if we are getting a new map for the final version anyway, it's a bit early to discuss this now.

Had the mines of Laurion ran out by the time the mod takes place? They could be a source of income for that area. There are also the gold mines of Pangaion, which Phillipos II used to mint his coins.

Mausolos of Caria

• Citizens
    Voting Member
  • RTR Project Historian
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2014, 04:45:22 PM »
It was not as effective anymore, but a French company still used it in the 19th century  :P So yeah it would still give additional income, same with Amphipolis or Spain. Oh yeah, the Pangaion are the mountains near Amphipolis anyway  ;D But we should only discuss it in detail when we have outlined the settlements for our new map, really.

Augustus

ahowl11

• RTR Project
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »
Yeah hopefully we can get started on it soon. I'm anxious to start discussions on various regions.