Author Topic: Workshop Booze Up VI - These Are Not The Potatoes You Are Looking For  (Read 160905 times)

comrade_general

Re: Workshop Booze Up VI - These Are Not The Potatoes You Are Looking For
« Reply #900 on: November 18, 2015, 01:25:20 PM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
  • Awards Awarded for oustanding services to Exilian!
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #901 on: November 18, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #902 on: November 20, 2015, 05:00:25 PM »
As a complete non sequitur after the assorted camelids, I've just worked out the Vatican City pope density. It's about 5.8 per square mile. I thought you should all know this :P

comrade_general

« Reply #903 on: November 20, 2015, 05:02:36 PM »
I don't get it.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #904 on: November 20, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
Sorry. It's not a joke; the phrase "Vatican City pope density" is a little bit of eccentricity shared with friends. There is one pope (excluding "Pope Emeritus" as a difficult case), resident in the Vatican City; the area of the Vatican City state is 110 acres, which equals 0.17 square miles. Hence the pope density is 1/0.17 = 5.8 popes per square mile.

Othko97

• SotK Beta
  • Patrikios
    Voting Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
    • Awards
« Reply #905 on: November 20, 2015, 07:17:38 PM »
It's much higher than the global pope density.
I am Othko, He who fell from the highest of places, Lord of That Bit Between High Places and Low Places Through Which One Falls In Transit Between them!

comrade_general

« Reply #906 on: November 22, 2015, 11:45:54 PM »

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #907 on: November 23, 2015, 10:06:27 AM »
I should write a forum bingo card to fill in any time I dare to question what people are posting, the responses are predictable as clockwork.
The duke, the wanderer, the philosopher, the mariner, the warrior, the strategist, the storyteller, the wizard, the wayfarer...

comrade_general

« Reply #908 on: November 23, 2015, 02:52:37 PM »
I don't have a problem with the nude decision. I have a problem with filtering other content because it doesn't agree with a certain political agenda. That's the whole point of free speech.

Jubal

• Megadux
    Executive Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #909 on: November 23, 2015, 03:05:15 PM »
Re picture thread? I wasn't filtering it, I was asking people to think about whether what they were posting was making people feel welcome. The point of free speech is that you're allowed to say what you like, and that I'm allowed to exercise my own free speech to question those choices. I'm not going to stop anyone posting that sort of thing, as I repeatedly and abundantly made clear, but freedom of speech includes the right for me, as long as I'm not stopping anyone doing anything, to criticise how other people use their free speech and vice versa. Freedom of speech means freedom from censorship, it doesn't mean freedom from criticism.

As it is, I think several people have made their feelings clear, and I think in future I'll probably just try and steer clear of some of these threads and bits of the forum where I don't feel at home any more.

comrade_general

« Reply #910 on: November 23, 2015, 03:11:26 PM »
And there's the core of one of the main world problems now: "Well maybe we shouldn't do that because someone, somewhere might not like it."

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #911 on: November 23, 2015, 03:12:31 PM »
I feel like I've missed something.
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

comrade_general

« Reply #912 on: November 23, 2015, 04:34:50 PM »
I feel like I've missed something.
Make a joke about France surrendering and nobody bats an eye, make a joke about the refugees being terrorists and everyone loses their mind. White guilt, baby, woo! Also something with squirrels wtf?

Clockwork

• Charming Prince of Darkness
  • Citizens
    Voting Member
  • Bitter? Me? portugal no, I think it's hilarious.
  • Awards Came first in the Summer 2020 Exilian forum pub quiz
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #913 on: November 23, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
Gotcha homie ;)
Once you realize what a joke everything is, being the Comedian is the only thing that makes sense.

Glaurung

• Sakellarios
    Financial Officer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #914 on: November 23, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »
I'm writing this wearing my Admin hat, hence the colour, or possibly my slightly grumpy old man hat. I haven't had to do this before, and I would like not to have to do this again.

Anyway, I came home from a day's work to find the preceding string of unhappy posts in this thread, and a few more dotted around elsewhere. I consider all the participants to be friends of mine; I think you're all friends with each other, mostly for far longer than I have known you, but if the current exchange continues then I fear you will not stay that way.

Therefore, I would appeal to you all to leave this subject alone for a day or two. I sense quite a lot of hurt and anger here, on all sides, and I think it would be good for people to step back for a while. We should probably have a discussion on freedom of speech, offensiveness, hurtfulness, and responsibility, but it's not this discussion.